Position No. 14SF139
The deadline for applying for positions is 07-22-2014.
BCIT’s Library Services is seeking a regular, part-time (40%) Archivist. Responsibilities include collection development and care, and providing access, information and assistance to staff, students and visitors.
The successful candidate will:
· Provide archival reference, access and advisory services to BCIT community
· Ensure archival digital and analogue holdings are maintained and grow according to professional standards, through BCIT’s record management processes, and have long term historical value
· Create and maintain electronic finding aids and descriptions of archival records
· Perform some digitization services and provide support for specialized digitization initiatives
· Collaborate with BCIT units that have a high need for accessing historical records to meet their needs, including those records that support the upcoming 50 year anniversary of BCIT
· Support and encourage the use of archival resources for marketing and educational programs, including through the use of social media, the Loop, and maintenance of the archives Web pages
What this position has to offer:
· A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a competitive pension plan
· Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development
· Tuition waivers for BCIT courses
· Subsidized parking and fitness facilities
· Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
· One year of work experience in an environment similar to BCIT
· M.L.I.S. from an ALA-accredited academic program and/or Master of Archival Studies.
· Experience with digital library technologies, digital library/archives metadata standards (Dublin Core, EAD, MODS) and technologies
· Working knowledge of archival descriptive standards (RAD & ISAD-G)
· Attention to detail and care in handling rare and fragile items
· Flexible and practical in work approach, with the ability to work independently
· Creative and strategic outlook, with the ability to work on important priorities
· Experience with photographic media handling, digital preservation scanning, Photoshop, IPTC and image manipulation
· Excellent writing and presentation skills
· Strong computer skills, with basic web editing skills, including experience with HTML, CSS, and content management systems such as WordPress and facility with social media platforms
· Candidates must be also able to lift and re-shelve boxes weighing up to 40 lb., using a ladder when necessary.
· Experience building relationships and credibility through working across the departments within an organization
· Knowledge of current trends in digital library development, digitization standards and preservation, and rights management issues relating to digital materials
Start Date: TBD w/ eHire
Salary range: $49,743 – $87,130 per annum. Prorated based on percentage of appointment.
Salary based on education, experience and placement criteria as outlined in the Collective Agreement.
Competition Number: TBD
Close date: TBD
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes diversity in the workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected for an interview, candidates will be required to present original copies of credentials.
To apply, visit us online at careers.bcit.ca.
British Columbia Institute of Technology
3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada, V5G 3h2