This isn’t the sort of thing I normally post, but if you are in the NYC area and are interested in theatre archives, this may appeal to you.
American Theatre Archive Project (ATAP) NYC Team Wants You!
Want to be part of a troupe of New York City archivists and librarians with a passion for theatre?
Do you have a knowledge of basic archival principles, the ability to survey collections, some familiarity with theater terminology; are you able to attend at least half of our monthly meetings the first Monday of each month at the New Amsterdam Theatre? Then ATAP is an organization where your talents will truly make a difference.
Founded in 2009, the American Theatre Archive Project supports theatre makers in archiving records of their work for the benefit of artists, scholars, patrons, and the public.
An initiative of the American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR), ATAP is a nationwide network of archivists, dramaturgs and scholars dedicated to preserving the legacy of the American theatre.
Thanks to a generous grant from the Lucille Lortel Foundation, ATAP teams (usually an archivist and documentarian) have completed surveys and developed plans for the archives of Roundabout Theatre, Atlantic Theater Company, Cherry Lane Theater, and New York Theatre Workshop (with more to come).
• To preserve records of current theatrical process and product for future generations.
• To employ theatre legacy to develop theatres’ fiscal health and support new work.
• To promote a better understanding of theatre as a vital element of cultural history.
• To encourage scholarly research in contemporary American theatre.
• To increase funding for establishing and maintaining theatre archives.
• To support collaborations among theatre archivists, practitioners, and scholars.
ATAP holds training sessions and has developed a manual and brochure for theater companies.
To learn more and see our manual and brochure, please visit our website:
Please join us for the love of theater!
Next Meeting: Monday, Sept. 8th at 6:30 New Amsterdam Theatre Lobby
to Set Goals and Plans for the Coming Year
Please contact Arminda Thomas if you plan to attend.