Vault Manager, Celeste Bartos Film Preservation Center, Hamlin PA
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for a Vault
Manager of its Film Preservation Center. Founded in 1935 as the Film
Library, the department’s collection now includes more than 30,000 films
and four million film stills. It has one of the strongest international
film collections in the United States that incorporates all periods and
genres. The film collection is stored in the Museum’s Celeste Bartos Film
Preservation Center, a state-of-the-art facility, located in Hamlin
Reporting to the Film Collections Manager, the Manager of the Film
Preservation Center will be responsible for the day-to-day management of
the facility and staff. Specific responsibilities include:
– Accessions, handles, inspects, retrieves, re-shelves, ships, and cares for all film prints in the Museum’s vaults and the Celeste Bartos Film Preservation Center.
– Works directly with motion picture laboratories during preservation workflow of motion picture material.
– Maintains a logical shelving system to efficiently locate and access collection artifacts.
– Completes print condition reports and creates database records for new material.
– Prepares nitrate reels for shipping as requested.
– Develops and maintains an inventory of the motion picture films in the collection. Tracks the movements of all prints in and out of the vaults.
– Update database with information related to new material and updating records as inspection of older material occurs.
– Monitors the structural and environmental conditions of the vaults.
– Notifies Film Collection Manager of any change in temperature or humidity in vaults and archives, as well as any alterations in the condition of the prints.
– Coordinates and reports the repair of malfunctioning equipment or structural damage with the Facilities Department.
– Provide assistance and training to staff members, interns, and volunteers.
– Perform other duties/projects as assigned by the Film Collection Manager and/or the Chief Curator, Film.
Qualified candidates will possess an advanced degree in film preservation
or related field and at least five years related experience in motion
picture preservation/conservation with experience managing a complex
facility or equivalent. Hazardous shipping certification. Strong
attention to detail. Superior organizational skills. Highly developed
interpersonal skills. Capable of critical thinking and complex problem
solving. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
The duties of this position may require standing, walking, sitting,
lifting/carrying (50lbs), pushing/pulling, stooping, and kneeling. Work
takes place in the vaults within cold conditions due to the climate
requirements for the collection.
Please submit resume and cover letter, which must include salary
requirements, to jobs(at)moma.org. Please reference the position title in the
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all
candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national
origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political