Longwood Gardens Library and Archives seeks a graduate level student in Library Science or Archival studies (or related equivalent) to gain experience in the operations and management of a horticultural special library and institutional archives. Recent graduates may also apply.
The intern works in each section of the unit—Library, Digital Gallery, and Archives—to develop projects aimed at furthering professional interests while working to achieve unit goals. This is a 40 hour per week, paid position with optional free housing (a taxable benefit). Longwood Gardens is a public display garden located in Kennett Square, PA, 45 minutes southwest of Philadelphia.
Position is available: June 1, 2015 – June 2016
Application Deadline: February 1, 2015. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
* Perform basic reference interviews and services. Become familiar with, and able to train others in, using EOS International integrated library system (ILS), ebrary ebooks, JSTOR, BioOne, and other relevant databases.
* Arrange and describe archival collections, develop finding aids, and make recommendations regarding storage, conservation and preservation treatment of archival materials
* Perform circulation maintenance routines, such as check-in/check-out, shelve books and compile usage statistics.
* Assist and train patrons in the use of computers and software, A/V equipment, and copier.
* Assist with Interlibrary Loan tasks as needed.
* Assist with scanning, managing, classification, and other projects with digital assets.
* Assist in cataloging materials (or object collections).
* Perform various daily administrative and technical tasks.
* Participate in student activities and field trips as scheduled.
* Be pursuing or have recently completed a Masters of Science in Library Science (MLS) or related equivalent.
* Be able and willing to work independently.
* Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to deal with people in a courteous, patient, and professional manner.
* Have physical ability to push fully-loaded book carts and handle heavy or oversize volumes. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
* Be willing to follow all of Longwood Gardens’ policies and procedures.
* Have a valid driver’s license.
The position extends throughout one full year, full time, 40 hours per week. This is a paid position at a rate of $9.00/hour with optional free housing (a taxable benefit) provided. Located in Kennett Square, PA, Longwood Gardens is approximately 45 minutes southwest of Philadelphia.
For more information on housing, student activities, hours and wages, contact EDU-Studies@longwoodgardens.org
Completed applications should include:
1. Completed application form accessible here:
2. A copy of your resume.
3. A statement of your professional objectives (approximately 200 words).
4. Official transcripts of all college courses (must show cumulative GPA).
5. A reference from your academic advisor (or professor) regarding your scholastic achievements and potential as an intern (must be enclosed in a sealed envelope with your advisor’s signature over the flap).
6. A reference from a current or former employer, preferably from within your field of interest (must be enclosed in a sealed envelope with your employer’s signature over the flap).
Please send items 1-3 together. Please have transcripts sent directly to the address below. Recommendation letters may either be emailed to EDU-studies(at)longwoodgardens.org or mailed to the address below. ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Must be received by February 1, 2015.
Domestic and International Studies
P.O. Box 501
Kennett Square, PA 19348-0501 USA