Video Oral History Archivist
The HistoryMakers seeks applications for a video oral history archivist. The archivist will be responsible for the planning and implementation of preservation, cataloguing and records management systems for The HistoryMakers videotaped oral history collection.
The archivist will:
– Process, arrange and catalog the current collection of videotaped and born digital oral histories;
– Work with a FileMaker Pro Database to catalog all interviews
– Establish the collection as a source of research for The HistoryMakers internal purposes:
– Develop a cost effective way of facilitating transcriptions and evaluations of interviews in the collection;
– Create finding aids and catalog records for the collection using Oxygen;
– Implement a cataloging system for the collection;
– Work on continued development, maintenance, and administration of FileMaker Pro database
– Continue the migration of the collection from analog to digital using LTO drives;
– Identify preservation issues and needs;
– Develop a business model for *The HistoryMakers* digital archive; and
– Implement a preservation program for the current collection as well as setting up a system for the future of the collection.
The ideal candidate will have a graduate degree in African American or American history, library science with a concentration in archival management, or other related field. The candidate must have three or more years experience working in an archive or library with videotaped resources.
The candidate will have:
– Knowledge of African American history
– Work experience with FileMaker Pro and Oxygen
– Significant experience with records management systems for organizational records
– Knowledge of standards in moving-image cataloging and the creation of finding aids including knowledge of EAD and EAC-CFP;
– Experience with videotape formats, in particular Beta cam SP; and migrating collections using an encoding system like Samma Solo;
– Strong project planning and time management skills;
– Familiarity with computer databases (i.e. Microsoft Access and FileMaker) and basic office software;
– Ability to work in close cooperation with The HistoryMakers Founder & Executive Director and our Consulting Archivist
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
*The HistoryMakers* is a growing and dynamic 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to creating an unprecedented national video oral history archival institution recording the stories of both well known and unsung African American HistoryMakers. The goal is to record at least 5,000 oral history interviews and to expose this material to the public through strategic media, technology, academic and community partnerships. For a look at our current projects visit http://www.thehistorymakers.com.
Please send resumes to:
1900 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL. 60616