Deadline: March 8, 2015
The Murie Center seeks a qualified archivist to work on an important historical collection at our small conservation nonprofit whose mission is: Bringing people together to inspire action that preserves nature.
The preferred contract is for 7 months starting on or around April 15, 2015 and ending on or around November 15, 2015, with potential to continue seasonally in subsequent years. Compensation for the 2015 season will be based on qualifications. Housing is possible on-site at the rustic Murie Ranch, a national historic landmark, in Grand Teton National Park, Moose, Wyoming.
The archivist will be responsible for all aspects of archives management, including appraising, accessioning, processing, arrangement and description, reference, and outreach.
• Master’s degree with concentration in archives/history.
• Minimum of three years’ experience in archives.
• Thorough understanding of digital preservation issues and archival description.
• Knowledge of archival preservation practices.
• Knowledge of copyright law and issues pertaining to digitization and use of manuscript and photograph collections.
• Knowledge of digitization best-practices and metadata management.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present and share ideas clearly and effectively.
• Intermediate to advanced skills in Past Perfect, and Microsoft Office products.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Handling all requests for information and materials related to historical research.
• Maintaining the collections and making materials available for research.
• Indexing, processing and cataloging materials.
• Accepting, receiving and documenting all gifts, and donations of archival materials.
• Assisting Murie Center staff with historical research and materials needed for exhibits, programs, publications, etc.
• Supervising of a potential paid intern.
• Assisting with and/or organizing and implementing programs and exhibitions pertaining to the history of the Muries and the conservation movement.
• Researching and writing grants for the Archives.
To apply for the position, please submit a cover letter expressing your interest along with a current résumé to: email@example.com. When submitting your application, note “Contract Archivist” in the subject heading of your email. Applications are due by March 8, 2015
For more information on The Murie Center, go to: http://www.muriecenter.org