Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Institution/Organization Name: Sisters of the Holy Family
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Fremont, CA
Application Deadline: May 29, 2015
Years of experience required: 1-2
The Holy Family Sisters are seeking a contract archivist or museum collection specialist to steward the archival collections and improve accessibility to materials. This position will be responsible for continuing an on-going project to donate antique furnishings, décor and paintings to cultural organizations, such as historic houses and museums. Work will also include opportunity to create exhibits and displays, especially digital exhibits involving social media and digital collections platforms.
• Graduate degree in MLS, MLIS, Museum Studies, Archival Studies or Records Management, or equivalent work experience
• At least one year of experience with archival processing and selection, or museum collections accessioning; i.e. demonstrated ability to evaluate the historic significance of materials and make determinations on retention/accession versus donation/de-accession
• Must be a self-starter with robust problem solving skills and strong communication abilities
• Adept in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel
• Ability to plan and manage projects at all levels; the successful candidate can move adroitly between long-term big picture planning and detail-oriented minutiae and all levels in between
• Knowledge of Past Perfect collection management program, or knowledge of a similar collection database and willingness to learn Past Perfect
• Knowledge of ArchivesSpace and/or creation of EAD finding aids and XML
• Experience preparing archival materials or museum items for de-accession, donation, or other form of re-location
• Familiarity with social media and digital collections platforms
The position is available immediately at part-time with possibility to extend hours in the future; an independent contractor with a three year commitment is preferred. The position offers flexible hours and the option of occasional remote work from home.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Katy Guyon at shfarchives(at)holyfamilysisters.org
About the Work Environment: The office and living spaces of the Holy Family Sisters are located in the beautiful and historic Washington Township neighborhood of Fremont, and are convenient to coffee shops and restaurants. Workplace dress is casual to business-casual.
The SHF Leadership Team: http://holyfamilysisters.org/298/SHF-Leadership-Team.htm
A virtual tour of Palmdale Estate: http://tours.bayhometours.com/public/vtour/display/7459
The Sisters of the Holy Family were founded in San Francisco in 1872 and have a long history of religious education and affordable day care services on the West Coast.
Due to changes in community membership levels over the past decades, the Holy Family Sisters are currently in the process of downsizing their living and office space. From 2013 to early 2015, the SHF archival collection was digitally cataloged for the first time, and then moved a short distance into a new climate controlled space. Additionally, over 100 pieces of historic furnishings, décor, and art were donated to historic houses and museums in 2013 and 2014.