Job Opening Title: Cataloging/Metadata Internship
Institution/Organization Name: Jasper County Records Center
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Carthage, Missouri, USA
Application Deadline: September 15, 2017
Link to job posting: http://www.jaspercounty.org/research.html
Years of experience required: 0-2 years experience
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.:
Cataloging and Metadata Intern
The Cataloging and Metadata Intern will assist primarily with cataloging and gathering metadata from materials in the Jasper County Records Center’s collection. The intern may also have an opportunity with other tasks, such as writing interpretive materials utilizing collection materials, assisting with social media initiatives, processing, arrangement and housing of collections, and the development of inventories and finding aids.
All internships are unpaid but may be used for course credit. Time requirements are flexible–all we ask is that you are available for at least 5-10 hours to work on site per week.
The intern will report to the Director/Archivist while carrying out the following tasks:
– Creating and transferring collection information into a Microsoft Excel database
– Collection of metadata per library cataloging standards
– Organizing and inventorying collection materials
– Rehousing collection materials
The ideal candidate is pursuing a degree in Library and Information Science, Archival Studies, Museum Studies, History, or a related field and has the following skills:
– Experience cataloging and gathering/creating metadata in an archival, museum or library setting (preferred but not required)
– A very high attention to detail and good organizational skills
– Excellent writing abilities and communication skills
– Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access
– Ability to work independently and in a team environment
– Self-starter with a strong work ethic
We are currently accepting applications for internships for the Fall semester.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate the internships to which you are applying in the body of your email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Posting expires on 9/15/2017