Job Opening Title: Library & Archives Project Assistant
Institution/Organization Name: Hoover Institution Library and Archives
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Stanford, CA
Application Deadline: November 2, 2018
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 0-2 years
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Library & Archives Project Assistant Position
The Hoover Institution Library & Archives is pleased to offer paid part-time and temporary assistant employment opportunities. Library & Archives Project Assistants participate in a variety of tasks to support the relocation of Hoover collection material to an offsite facility under the direction of project archivists, librarians, preservation staff, and the project manager.
Positions are available to those with library and archives experience, various language skills, and/or recent graduates or candidates currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in archival studies, library science, museum studies, history, or a related field. Training is provided. Project Assistants must commit to work at least 16-24 hours a week between 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday for one year OR work 40 hours a week between 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday for 6 months.
The Project Assistant will work on a variety of tasks to suit the needs of the project. Some or all of the tasks will be assigned to the assistant throughout the course of the project. Tasks include, but are not limited to the following. Retrieving and re-shelving boxed collection material for barcoding, assessing and barcoding collection material according to specified criteria, performing quality control for the barcoding process per specified criteria, and tracking the inventory of barcoded collections. Assist in the physical rehousing of collection materials designated to move to an offsite facility. Responsibilities include: preparing custom, size specific folders and housings; tracking supply inventory across multiple spaces; foldering oversize materials; assisting in the organization and inventory of oversize materials storage (involves moving materials longer than 3’ and possibly reaching overhead); and assisting with the careful handling of materials of various sizes, weights, and stability during the re-housing process. Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications & Physical Requirements
• Responsible, organized, punctual, conscientious, detail-oriented, and committed to the care of historical documents
• Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and the ability to work in a team as well as independently
• Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies, organize and prioritize work, and act with initiative, good judgment, and problem solving skills
• Effective at meeting deadlines, adjusting priorities, and working on multiple projects simultaneously
• Experience with organizational office software, including Excel and databases
• Frequently twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasps lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, and sort/file paperwork or parts, reach/work above shoulders, and lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds
• Ability to lift 40 pound boxes and to push and maneuver fully loaded book trucks/carts (push force up to 50 pounds)
• Experience working in a library, archives, museum, or other research setting
• Experience providing customer service to the public
• Reading knowledge of a foreign language, preferably German, Russian, Polish, Chinese, French, Spanish, Japanese, or Arabic
All applicants should submit the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Hoover Library & Archives Project Assistant Position”:
• A cover letter addressing your applicable qualifications, and your availability
• A resume or CV
• Name and contact information for two references
Applications may be reviewed at any time. U.S. undergraduate and graduate students and international students studying at U.S. institutions are encouraged to apply.