Job Opening Title: Archivist – Part-Time
Institution/Organization Name: Town of Franklin
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Franklin, MA
Application Deadline: 11/30/2018
Link to job posting: http://www.franklinma.gov/human-resources/pages/job-opportunities
Years of experience required: 2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Town of Franklin is seeking a part-time Archivist to lead the community’s Historical Museum. Interested candidates can learn more about the Franklin Historical Museum by visiting www.franklinhistoricalmuseum.org.
This is a part-time position reporting directly to the Town Administrator and/or his designee. The hours can be flexible. However, at times, weekday evening and weekend hours are required as needed to accommodate exhibitions, programming schedules and/or Museum operating hours. Professional development funds are available to support attendance at conferences and workshops.
The Archivist will be responsible for the following duties:
• Develop institutional policies to identify, preserve, manage, and provide access to Historical Museum collections
• Implement a collection management system and establish protocols for collection processing
• Inventory, catalog, and document objects and archival materials in the Museum Collection
• Research and develop a long-range plan for collections development
• Review infrastructure needs at the Historical Museum, such as housing, technology, and use of space, and develop strategies for long-term preservation
• Present annual capital plan and annual operating budget to the Town Administrator
• Maintain Historical Museum website and conduct public relations on behalf of the Museum and its exhibits and events
• Work with town staff and Historical Commission and the Friends of the Franklin Historical Museum and other volunteers to develop and assist in exhibition planning and installation
• Train and manage volunteers, students, and interns
• Look for alternative funding for Museum operations and grant opportunities
• Other duties as assigned by the Town Administrator
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with collections and exhibitions. Experience may be substituted with appropriate academic credentials and internships
• Familiarity with PastPerfect Museum Software
• Must be a self-starter with a desire in building a collection management system and preservation strategy from the ground up for the long term preservation of Historical Museum and/or Town archives
• Excellent writing and public relations skills
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently
• Must be organized as well as flexible, and able to be self-directed in prioritizing tasks and work
• Ability to work with town staff, stakeholders, and general public in a courteous and tactful manner
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds and unpack, shelve, and shift large quantities of archival and museum objects
• Bachelor’s degree in History, Library and Information Science or a related field is required. Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science, History, or a related field, with a concentration in Archives Management is preferred.
This is a part-time position and the employee is only authorized to work up to 19 hours per week. The position does not have benefits.
Interested candidates shall email a resume and cover letter in Microsoft Word or PDF format to email@example.com. Please put “Archivist” in the subject line of the email.