Your Name (Will not be made public): Courtney Titus
Your Email (Will not be made public): email@example.com
Job Opening Title: Research Coordinator
Institution/Organization Name: Park City Museum
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Park City, Utah
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Link to job posting: http://parkcityhistory.org/get-involved/job-opportunities/
Years of experience required: 2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Park City Museum in Park City, Utah has an immediate opening for a full-time Research Coordinator. The successful candidate will oversee the Hal Compton Research Library and will facilitate access to historical information by providing research services, developing and maintaining the non-circulating library collection of reference material, managing the Museum’s digitization efforts, and directing the oral history program. S/he will also write and edit the weekly Way We Were column in the local newspaper, fulfill historical photo reprint orders, and actively engage the public in the Museum’s mission via social media.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide research services including archival reference assistance and access to Research Library materials for researchers via telephone, email, and in-person requests.
• Manage, schedule and coordinate research appointments and calendar.
• Provide research for in-house exhibits, publications and articles.
• Compile and submit quarterly reports on research requests and photo orders.
Way We Were articles
• Research, write, and schedule weekly articles featured in the “Way We Were” column in the Park Record newspaper.
• Oversee, manage, and edit article contributions from volunteers, interns, and staff.
• Fulfill duplication requests for historical images from Museum patrons and staff, including reprint orders and high resolution digitization, securing the required paperwork for all transactions.
• Work with the Director and the Curator to secure copyright and determine use and access permissions.
• Maintain current awareness of copyright law, access restrictions, and Library of Congress digitization standards.
Library and Archives
• Write and publish finding aids, instructional guides, and other access tools.
• Inventory, organize, catalog and develop the Research Library’s non-circulating collection of materials, including books, magazines, newspapers and maps.
• Manage the Museum’s digitization program for both the permanent collection and Research Library materials, working closely with the Director to secure grants and the Curator to determine institutional priorities.
• Assist the Curator with: acquisition of archival material for the Museum’s permanent collection, processing of archival records according to current best practices and the Museum’s collections policies, and implementation of up-to-date archival policies and procedures, all as needed.
• Implement a records management program for the Museum’s institutional archives of administrative and documentary material relating to the Park City Museum.
• Oversee Museum’s oral history collection including transcription and digitization of completed interviews and managing list of potential interviewees.
• Direct oral history projects in conjunction with special events, anniversaries, exhibitions, and programs and conduct interviews using current best practices.
• Assist the Curator with exhibit text, design and installation, as needed.
• Contribute to Museum publications, including quarterly newsletter.
• Manage the Museum’s Facebook page, including responding to messages, monitoring comments and user posts, and actively engaging followers with updates about upcoming events, exhibits, and relevant history.
• Update Research Library-related website content.
• Help oversee collections and research volunteers and interns.
• Assist with Museum store and visitor information, special events, lectures and programming, tours, and advocacy, as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Masters degree in Public History, Museum Studies, Library Science or a related field.
• 2+ years experience in museums, history libraries or research preferred.
• Self-motivated with strong organizational, teamwork and interpersonal skills. Must work effectively with diverse groups to manage information requests.
• Excellent capacity to multi-task, juggle shifting priorities, and meet demanding deadlines. Expert time-management skills required.
• Skilled problem-solver, historical researcher, writer and editor.
• Solid understanding of professional museum practices and procedures.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and social media platforms required.
• Working knowledge of WordPress and PastPerfect preferred.
Full-time position that will include some weekends, evenings, and special events; will be required to stay until closing at 7:00 pm one night per week, and work one Saturday per month. Benefits include paid vacation days, personal and sick leave, and holidays as well as health insurance. Salary range is $40,000-$45,000, commensurate with experience.
Application deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Please send cover letter, resume, and list of three references to:
Ms. Courtney Titus, Curator of Collections & Exhibitions at firstname.lastname@example.org with “RESEARCH COORDINATOR” in the subject line.