Job Opening Title: Collections Move Manager: Term Position
Institution/Organization Name: The Bostonian Society
Job Location (City, State, Province, Country): Boston
Application Deadline: until filled
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 1
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Collections Move Coordinator (Term Position)
January – April 2019
40 hours a week M-F (occasional early morning and evening work required)
The Collections Move Coordinator will serve as the main point of contact at The Bostonian Society on a project to move a 6,200 object collection to a new storage facility. The collection is diverse in its holdings and spans the 17th through 21st centuries. The Coordinator will work closely with a collections consultant and movers to oversee collections documentation, packing, moving, and delivery to new facility. The Coordinator will also manage updating the collections database through the move process. This position reports to the Director of Education and Exhibitions.
• Provide proper care and handling of museum objects
• Oversee the work of the consultants executing the move
• Coordinate with Society staff to successfully pack and move the collection out of its current storage spaces.
• Manage the resources needed to complete the move including supplies, staff, and project budget
• Ensure proper updating of the collections management database throughout the move process
Education and Work Experience
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Museum Studies or related field
• Experience in collections care and management within a museum, library or archives setting.
• Experience using collections management systems/databases (Re:Discovery a plus)
Skills and Abilities
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Ability to problem solve
• Attention to detail
• Valid driver’s license
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The successful candidate must be able to:
• lift and move items up to 40 pounds
• climb stairs, ladders, and stools
• stand for sustained periods of time
• work in climate controlled storage spaces meant for collections preservation
About the Bostonian Society
The Bostonian Society is dedicated to explaining, studying, and preserving Boston’s uniquely important history, embodied in materials, records, and structures such as the Old State House, and in sharing an understanding of the revolutionary ideas born here.
To Apply: Send a letter of interest and resume to Kathy Mulvaney at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis in order to facilitate hiring.