Job Opening Title: Conservation Technician
Employer Name: Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA
Application Deadline: February 15, 2019
Link to job posting: https://www.oscars.org/careers
Years of experience required: 2+
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Job Summary:
The Margaret Herrick Library is seeking a Conservation Technician to assist the Conservation department with a wide range of duties in support of the preservation and conservation of the Library’s archive collections. This position requires thorough knowledge of professionally accepted preservation and collection management practices and procedures including but not limited to: preventive conservation, rehousing, fabricating custom storage enclosures, conducting collection surveys and laboratory maintenance. The ideal candidate is highly organized and detail oriented, processes excellent hand skills, and is able to prioritize multiple projects.
This is a temporary, part-time position from mid-February through the end of June 2019 for 16-24 hours a week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform basic book, paper and photograph conservation treatments with full documentation.
• Assist the Conservator with more complex conservation treatments.
• Perform tasks in preparation for loans and exhibits that fall under the duties of conservation, including but not limited to: hinging, mounting, stabilization, specialized packing, and condition documentation.
• Fabricate/adapt specialized storage housings for the collection.
• Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Assist in monitoring the environments.
• Assist with general lab duties and supplies maintenance.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant experience.
• 2+ years of experience in library preservation or paper conservation.
• Working knowledge of accepted conservation standards, practices and terminology and of proper use of conservation tools, equipment and supplies.
• Aptitude for detailed hand work and superior manual dexterity.
• Ability to work independently with instruction and interfacing regularly with other staff.
• Strong computer skills, including experience with PC platform and databases.
• Strong organizational skills and neatness to share workspace respectfully with other staff.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time with occasional climbing, bending and kneeling as well as the capability to lift and move up to 50lbs.