Job Opening Title: Assistant Conservator, Margaret Herrick Library
Employer Name: Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Job Location: Beverly Hills, CA
Application Deadline: None
Link to job posting: https://www.oscars.org/careers
Years of experience required: 3+
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Summary:
The Assistant Conservator will work on a wide-range of paper-based objects and participate in all departmental activities including treatment, monitoring environmental conditions and other preventative conservation steps for the MHL collections. The applicant should be well versed in handling and storage best practices for book and paper collections and be familiar with condition reporting and building basic housings.
This is a part-time position reporting to the Head of Library Conservation.
• Basic book, paper and photograph conservation treatments with documentation.
• Assist the conservation staff with more complex conservation treatments with written and photographic documentation.
• Support the preparation of loans and exhibits, including stabilization, hinging, specialized packing, and condition documentation.
• Oversee matting, framing, installation/deinstallation and rehousing projects.
• Fabricate/adapt specialized storage housings for the collection.
• Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals.
• Monitor storage environments.
• Advise staff of best practices for handling and storage enclosures for a variety of collection materials.
• Master’s degree with a specialization in paper conservation or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
• At least three years of experience in paper conservation.
• Proven knowledge of accepted conservation standards, practices and terminology and proper use of conservation tools, equipment and supplies.
• Strong computer skills including experience with PC platform and databases.
• Excellent communication skills including interpersonal.
• Strong organization skills including neatness and the ability to share workspace respectfully with other staff as well as work independently.
• Ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time with occasional climbing, bending and kneeling, and the capacity to lift and/or move up to 50lbs.