Job Opening Title: Archivist Intern
Employer Name: Knights of Columbus Supreme Council Archives
Job Location: New Haven, CT
Application Deadline: April 15, 2019
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 0-1
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Summary
The Archive Intern will assist the Supreme Council Archivist in collecting, preserving, and sharing the Knights of Columbus’ 135+ year legacy, allowing both members and the general public to forge meaningful connections with the organization’s history. This is a unique opportunity for those who have an interest in fraternal organizations, religious history, and/or archives in museums.
This internship provides a unique opportunity to work in an evolving corporate archive that recently has reorganized, is migrating its database to ArchivesSpace, and is migrating finding aids online. The work of interns will be integral in processing the collections and establishing foundational processes and procedures for the archive to move forward.
Internships can be arranged for any term. Preference given to LIS or History graduate students, but undergraduate internships will be considered. A minimum of 150 hours of work is preferred, but shorter internships may be arranged.
Interns will benefit from exposure to a wide variety of archival tasks. Projects include, but are not necessarily limited to:
– Processing and rehousing of physical assets.
-Preparation of finding aid for entry into ArchivesSpace, a content management system (CMS).
– Research supporting the archivist with day-to-day activities, such as research request fulfillment.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
– Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
– Graduate students in Library and Information Science or History with concentrations in Archival Administration or Library Science.
– Familiarity with archival best practices.
– Experience with archival research.
– Strong attention to detail.
– Demonstrated ability to analyze, organize, and prioritize.
– Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
– Familiarity with content management systems. Experience with ArchivesSpace highly desirable.
– All interns must pass a drug-screening and background check before beginning their internship.
– Office Environment
– Moderate Lifting (15-30 lbs)
– Monday – Friday Hours
– Tobacco and Drug Free
How to Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and 2 letters of reference to VivianLea Solek, Archivist,
Knights of Columbus Supreme Council Archives, firstname.lastname@example.org. Application materials are due by April 15. Internship to begin in May or as arranged.