Job Opening Title: Assistant Archivist
Employer Name: Texas A&M University – Commerce
Job Location: Commerce, Texas
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Years of experience required: 0
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.:
Assistant Librarian – Assistant Archivist R-018458
Texas A&M University – Commerce
Proposed Minimum Salary
The Assistant Librarian – Assistant Archivist is responsible for processing and accessioning collections, providing reference services, and performing other archival duties as assigned under the general direction of the University Archivist.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Processes papers, photographs, audio and video recordings, electronic records, memorabilia, and other items from collections using comprehensive processing plans that apply knowledge of best practices and standards.
• Accessions collections both recently and previously acquired, applying knowledge of best practices and standards.
• Provides reference services to researchers, university stakeholders, community members, and the general public.
• Collaborates with the Digital Archivist to identify items suitable for digitization, curate materials for the Northeast Texas Digital Collections, and write metadata.
• Assists with the maintenance of accurate and complete description and inventory of holdings in the collections management system.
• Provides archives-related instruction in both classroom and workplace settings to university stakeholders and community members, as assigned.
• Prepares exhibits for display in the department, on campus, and as traveling exhibits, as assigned.
• Participates in departmental outreach activities.
• Maintains current knowledge and monitor trends in archives.
• Maintains effective workflows and documentation for Archives policies and procedures.
• Serves on library and university committees.
• Participates in continuing education and professional development opportunities.
• Education: ALA-accredited MLS degree.
• Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Experience processing collections and providing reference services. Working knowledge of current metadata standards (Dublin Core and DACS). Experience with collections management systems (ArchivesSpace, Archivists’ Toolkit, or Archon). Ability to establish positive working relationships. Detail oriented and project management skills. Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to: Multitask and work cooperatively with others. Ability to adapt to a changing library environment. Ability to plan, coordinate, assist, and complete projects in a satisfactory manner.
• Licensing/Professional Certifications: NA
• Physical Requirements: Ability to move medium weight (20 pounds) boxes, books, heavy book truck or similar items. Ability to handle material which can contain dust or microscopic mold spores.
• Other Requirements: None
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Certified Archivist. One year of experience with processing collections in an archives, special collections, or museum setting.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
Interns and student workers.