Department: Housing and Community Development
Division: Compliance and Operations
Reporting Location: 2100 Travis, Houston, TX 77002
Workdays & Hours: 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday*
* Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston’s Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) seeks to create a city in which every resident has an affordable home in a community where they can thrive. Partnering with non-profit, governmental, and local entities, HCDD strives to strengthen Houston’s neighborhoods, provide true housing choice and execute the Mayor’s vision for One Houston with complete communities throughout. Since Hurricane Harvey, HCDD is managing more than one billion dollars dedicated to helping low and moderate-income families recover.
To achieve this vision, HCDD is seeking an Administrative Specialist to join its team. In this position, you will primarily be responsible for Texas Public Information Act (TPIA requests made to the department. This position will also have records management responsibilities (i.e. indexing, storage, etc.)
- Process requests for public information in accordance with the Texas Public Information Act (TPIA).
- Keeps current of changing circumstances (legal decisions, changes to policy, etc.) involved with TPIA.
- Meets all legal and assigned deadlines involved with both TPIA and Records Management.
- Trains department in both TPIA and Records Management.
- Maintain professional customer assistance standards while assisting both internal and external customers.
- Act as liaison between the department’s Public Information Officer and Records Management.
- Maintain uniform records management standards and practices for the proper indexing, storage, access, preservation, retrieval, and disposal of departmental records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Detail Oriented: Brings the highest level of attentiveness to all work.
- Motivated: Takes ownership of projects to complete them effectively and efficiently.
- Focused: Sets and maintains high personal work standards while demonstrating an attention to detail.
- Responsible: Holds oneself accountable for work duties and actions.
- Multitask: Maintains effectiveness while balancing several different responsibilities.
- Leadership: Set the standard for others to follow; able to set goals and priorities.
This is a grant funded position subject to cancellation when funds are depleted and/or contract period ends.
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Liberal Arts, or a related field.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Three years of administrative experience is required.
Professional administrative experience may be substituted for the education requirement above, on a year-for-year basis.
MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Valid Texas Driver’s License and compliance with the City of Houston policy on driving (A.P.2-2).
- Two years of experience processing TPIA requests.
- Data entry experience relevant to both TPIA and records management.
- Completed relevant City of Houston training including, but not limited to:
o ARA Records Management
o ARA Records Web Application
o TSLAC Local Government Courses
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer skills assessment relevant to job description.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate’s qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 20
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: http://www.www.houstontx.gov
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
If you need special services or accommodations, please call 832.393.6090; TTY 7-1-1.
To apply, please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/houston/promotionaljobs