Job Location: Monterey, CA
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position Summary:
The Archivist-Records Manager will manage all responsibilities and duties associated with the archives and records for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Monterey, and will provide archival research and records management support to the Pastoral Office, Parishes and other diocesan groups.
Reports to: Chancellor
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages the Diocesan Archives and Records Management Program.
2. Manages the diocesan electronic document management system.
3. Develops and implements policies and procedures to manage current and archival records.
4. Serves as the main Archives liaison to diocesan offices, parishes, schools, institutions and organizations, as we as to other professional organizations and the general community.
5. Develops and manages the diocesan records protection program. This includes records restoration, destruction when appropriate, and digitizing vital records.
6. Trains, develops and supervises interns, volunteers and/or staff involved in the Archives area.
7. Develops training material and provides training to parish and other diocesan staff on sacramental record-keeping guidelines.
8. Creates and applies records retention schedules according to professional standards and under the guidance of the Legal department.
9. Exercise great care and confidentiality as needed for all records and communications.
10. Serves as historian for special diocesan projects.
11. Leads the information gathering and the timely submission of accurate data for annual external reports (e.g. to Rome, Official Catholic Directory, and others as needed).
Ideal qualifications include a Master’s degree (e.g. Master’s Degree in Archival Administration or Library Science, or History, or equivalent) and at least two years of related archival experience. Being a Certified Archivist and/or Certified Records Manager is desirable. Experience in database creation and good working skills in Microsoft Office software and Electronic Document Management Software.
The Archivist should have excellent written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of stakeholders, and should have great skills to organize materials and information.
Bilingual Spanish skills are desirable, with a basic knowledge of Latin. Experience and/or interest in Catholic history also desirable.
Ability to lift/move boxes or materials weighing up to 35 lbs. is desirable.
This is a full-time, permanent position with a competitive compensation and benefits in one of the most beautiful areas in the country. Information on the Diocese of Monterey can be found at: https://www.dioceseofmonterey.org/
The Archives department manages not only sacramental records but also historical materials of some of California’s Missions. These services respond to the Diocese’s parishes and to particular requests from other individuals and organizations.
The start date is negotiable. Interested candidates can submit their application to the Chancellor of the Diocese, Deacon Hugo Patiño, at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include a cover letter and your resume in a .pdf format.