Job Opening Title: Archivist of the Archdiocese of Newark
Employer Name: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark
Job Location: Newark/South Orange, New Jersey
Application Deadline: Open
Years of experience required: Open
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position: Archivist of the Archdiocese of Newark
Department: Walsh Library, Seton Hall Archives
Reports To: Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Newark
(Exempt or Non-Exempt)
The mission of the Archives is to document the history of the Archdiocese by collecting and preserving historical materials and to make them available to Archdiocesan priests and employees, members of the scholarly community, authors, and other interested persons.
The following specific responsibilities are representative of duties required in this position. They may be unilaterally but reasonably changed based on the working environment and departmental needs.
• Oversee the arrangement and description of the collections of the Archives of the Archdiocese of Newark, including the creation of Finding Aids using ArchivesSpace with legacy Archivists’ Toolkit to guide access to these collections.
• Coordinate/collaborate with the archival staff at the Archives & Special Collections Center of the Walsh Library of Seton Hall University regarding collections processing, space management and updates to Archdiocesan sections of Archives & Special Collections Center website.
• Collaborate with the Chancellor, Office of Property Management, the New Energies Project, the Archdiocesan Commission for Ecclesiastical Patrimony, and other appropriate Archdiocesan offices and organizations to facilitate accessions of material of lasting historical value and to coordinate moving material from the Archdiocese to the Archives & Special Collections Center.
• Maintain established industry standards for the Archives, and work with acquisitions, collection and other policies and the processing manual of the Archives and Special Collections Center.
• Make final decision with Chancellor on accessioning and de-accessioning all materials and artifacts of the Archives of the Archdiocese.
• Manage access to the historical records, including internal requests from Archdiocesan parishes and offices and external requests from qualified historians, genealogists and other researchers.
• Regularly assist parishes and offices with the management and storage of their historical records, including assisting in determining what should be sent to the Archives & Special Collections Center and the maintenance and care of records that remain on site.
• Oversee the maintenance and care of historical records housed at the Archdiocesan Center including but not limited to deeds, building plans, parish incorporation certificates, financial and clergy personnel records.
• Assist archdiocesan offices in developing and implementing Records Management guidelines and procedures.
• Develop annual goals and budget for the Archives in coordination with the procedures of the Archdiocese of Newark.
• Oversee the implementation of the budget for the Archives and the work of all staff including Archdiocesan Records Assistant who produces sacramental certificates requested by former parishioners of closed parishes from records conserved in the Archives & Special Collections Center, conducting requested genealogy searches, and filing materials in priest, parish and institutional files as well as updating ArchivesSpace records of these accretions.
• Promote the Archives by coordinating with the Data Services Center of the Archdiocese and Seton Hall University to create digital exhibits and online galleries of interesting items from the Archives collections.
• Participate in outreach and professional development through active participation in professional organizations and conferences.
• Work with outside vendors to contract for different Archives projects, ensuring that all final agreements are clear and meet the needs of the Archives and the Archdiocese.
• Assume other tasks and responsibilities as shall be assigned by the Archbishop of Newark, the Chancellor or the Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia
• Other duties as assigned.
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
• Knowledge of archives management software, including ArchivesSpace, Archivits’ Tookit, Preservica & Omeka required.
• Familiarity with the beliefs and practices of the Roman Catholic Church and with the history of the Archdiocese of Newark.
Education and/or Experience
• Master’s degree in Archival Studies or equivalent required.
• Five to seven years minimum experience required in Archives or related field, preferably working with religious collections
• Certified Archivist preferred