Job Opening Title: Manuscripts Librarian
Employer Name: Mississippi State University
Job Location: Starkville, MS
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 1-3
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.:
MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES
Assistant Professor of Manuscripts
Position Title-Manuscripts Coordinator
Position Function-The Mississippi State University (MSU) Libraries seek applicants for the position of Assistant Professor. This tenure track position will assist with developing the Manuscripts Division archival processing program and the supervision of collection processing activities. This position reports to the Manuscripts Coordinator in the Special Collections Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include, but are not limited to, the following:
• All aspects of processing collections, including creating finding aids for new collections and additions to existing collections; supervising Library of Congress subject heading and name authority work; creating EAD finding aids; and working with cataloging units to create MARC records for collections for inclusion in the library catalog;
• Works with the Manuscripts Coordinator to develop a list of processing priorities; develops processing plans; and coordinates the processing work of the Manuscripts Assistants and students;
• Makes recommendations for standards to be utilized in processing work;
• Assures compliance with processing standards by training Library Student Assistants, checks processing work and edits finding aids;
• Works with the Manuscripts Coordinator and the Digital Preservation Unit on digital projects, including developing metadata and selecting materials for digitization;
• Regular participation in all departmental reference activities, including periodic weekend (Saturday afternoon) shifts;
• Assists with outreach activities such as exhibits and other library programming; Participates in Special Collections collection development activities;
• Meets library and university requirements for promotion and tenure in the areas of librarianship, research, service and collegiality
• Other duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program, with significant coursework in archival administration;
• One –Three (1-3) years of experience processing archival collections;
• Familiarity with computer applications for archival administration, such as ArchivesSpace;
• Working knowledge of relevant descriptive and encoding metadata standards: EAD, MARC, DACS, and Dublin Core;
• Strong analytical and organizational skills as well as strong written and oral communication skills;
• Ability to set and adjust priorities and workflows in a dynamic and changing environment and accept new challenges in order to realize departmental and library goals;
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
• Ability to carry out professional research and service necessary to meet library and university requirements for promotion and tenure;
• Additional Master’s Degree in relevant subject specialty such as History, Public History, History of the American South, Agricultural History, Civil Rights, Architecture, Literature, African-American Studies, or Journalism;
• Reading knowledge of a foreign language, such as Latin, French, Spanish or German; Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, manage, and complete complex processing projects;
• Experience processing collections in the areas of Agricultural and/or Rural History, Journalism, Civil Rights, Literature or Architecture;
• Experience working with Rare Books;
• Experience performing preservation tasks such as creating phase boxes and other enclosures;
• Experience working with digital and analog A/V collections;
• Previous experience working in a large academic library;
• Digital Archives Specialist (DAS) certificate complete or in progress;
• Demonstrated commitment to playing an active role in the archives profession.
$47,476 – $49,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience; faculty rank, privileges and responsibilities; 12-month appointment, excellent benefits package. Please apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please include curriculum vita and names/addresses/phone numbers/email addresses of at least three professional references.
Applicants must complete the Personal Data Information form online @ www.msujobs.msstate.edu (PARF #498853).
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.