Established in 1986, ProMedica is a locally owned, nationally recognized, not-for-profit healthcare organization based in Toledo, Ohio. Our expansive team includes more than 3,000 physicians and more than 60,000 employees treating patients at 330 sites throughout 30 states.
Currently, ProMedica has a local (metro Toledo) medical archive collection that consists of items that have been gathered or donated to us connected to our people, buildings, departments, and initiatives. Items include but are not limited to photos, paintings/artwork, medical objects, uniforms, print material/records, awards, slides, audio recordings and videos. This collection is currently housed over several locations and labeled in a variety of different ways.
Immediate Objectives (to be completed within the next 3 – 4 months):
– Inventory, organize and classify all archives to make them easy to search through
– Create computer archive and database, safeguard records by creating digital copies
– Provide a clear way to add new items to our library
– Recommend policy guidelines concerning internal and external access to materials
Future Objectives (to be completed within the next 6 – 12 months):
– Identify rare or vintage items and have them appraised
– Create process for finding and acquiring new additions to archives (perhaps quarterly) from our hospitals/providers (awards, milestones, new additions, etc.)
– Compile manual and help create training process for new interns
We are seeking an archivist intern who will work directly with our staff archivist, with over 50 years of knowledge and experience, to achieve the above objectives. They would be required to work on-site between several Toledo, Ohio locations for 40 hours per week (hours are flexible to accommodate school schedules). Compensation will be $10/hr.
The ideal candidate would:
– Have a degree, or working toward a degree, in library science, archival science, records management or related field. Knowledge or interest in health care is a bonus
– Have experience with using/creating catalog systems for archive collections
– Have intermediate/advanced computer skills including typing, digitizing and data processing
– Have their own reliable transportation, cell phone and laptop. Most work will be done on-site, but working virtually may also be required.
– Be proactive, resourceful, open-minded and have a strong work ethic. The ability to provide clear recommendations, take initiative and make presentations is imperative.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Valerie.Thompson@promedica.org
– For more information about ProMedica, please visit our website https://www.promedica.org
– This project will coincide with the building of our new bed-tower “Generations” at ProMedica Toledo Hospital https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iFiC1R2XaU&feature=youtu.be
– To learn more about the history of ProMedica Toledo Hospital https://www.promedica.org/toledo-hospital/pages/about-us/default.aspx