LAC Group is seeking a Metadata Librarian to work on-site at a major federal library in Silver Spring, MD. The Metadata Librarian will support physical archive management activities with a focus on document consolidation and coordination with the federal library to inventory, evaluate and identify those appropriate for consolidation or relocation, and effect record moves to the appropriate office or other disposition as necessary. This is a one-year full-time (40 hours a week; Monday to Friday) benefited contract position.
- Support receipt, cataloging, evaluation, consolidation, disposition, metadata development, maintenance, shelving, and management of the agency’s physical archive holdings, including but not limited to paper documents, magnetic tapes, and various other digital media, fiche, film and other physical media
- Review, separate and inventory contents of records and non-records containers maintained at various facilities to prepare the records for transfer to the appropriate records retention center
- Create or update agency’s records and such other standards-compliant catalog metadata as per the agency’s Library and/or WorldCat
- Coordinate with the agency to ensure that publications are annotated with appropriate information to link publications to archival holdings
- Confirm that analog documentation matches digital archival contents prior to transferring or disposing of analog documentation
- Ensure physical archive records are reasonably secure and safe during and following an emergency situation to include following any established notification protocol (Though a rare occurrence, leaks and other emergencies threatening the security and integrity of the physical archives may occur)
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
- Experience working in various databases and specialized systems unique to the agency, as well as common office automation and other software tools.
- Experience in library technical services, knowledge of library and data science best practices, standards-based metadata, and an ability to develop an effective workflow, tracking and reporting processes are required.
- Ability to lift boxes of media, some of which may weigh more than 40 pounds (similar to a case of copier paper)