Job Opening Title: Archives Technician
Employer Name: Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution
Job Location: New York, New York
Application Deadline: 9/9/2019
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 0-2 years
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, is seeking an Archives Technician to support the management of collections, reference resources, and administrative services in the Archives’ New York Research Center. The incumbent will report to the Head of Collections Processing and work directly with the Archivist and Collecting Specialist for the New York Region.
The Archives’ mission is to collect, preserve, and make available primary sources documenting the history of the visual arts in the United States. With over 6,000 collections and 2,300 oral history interviews, the Archives is the largest and most widely used resource on the history of American art in the world.
• Assists the New York collecting specialist with archival collection accessioning and the archivist with collection processing activities. Tasks may include weeding duplicates, re-foldering, sorting of archival documents, entering folder lists and content descriptions in ArchivesSpace, and packing collections for shipment to the Washington, DC office.
• Provides reference services in the New York microfilm reading room, including but not limited to answering phone inquiries, assisting researchers, retrieving digital collection items for researchers and staff, and maintaining the microfilm reading room equipment.
• Provides technical support for digital collections and projects. Tasks may include conducting survey assessments and completing the transfer of digital media formats into the Archives’ born-digital repository and assisting with large-scale digitization projects.
• Provides administrative support for the Archives’ New York Research Center, serving as a liaison with building management and other SI departments, and supporting arrangements for meetings.
Desired Knowledge and Experience:
• Knowledge of current archival principles, concepts, methodology, and procedures for activities that comprise archival collections processing, arrangement, preservation, and description.
• Knowledge of and experience with digital records, record systems, and record keeping programs sufficient to understand how the different bodies of records and the record systems relate to one another (such as Microsoft Office programs, Aeon patron request management system, ArchivesSpace, etc.).
• General knowledge of American art history or American cultural, social, and political history and historical research methods.
• Ability to plan and organize work tasks to meet quotas and targeted completion dates with attention to detail and respect for the historical documents, photographs, and works of art.
• Ability to comprehend and oral and written instructions, policies, procedures, explanations and guidelines and to apply both oral and written instructions to practical work situations with a minimum of supervisory attention after initial assignment and instruction.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to AAACareers@si.edu. Deadline for applications is September 9, 2019. To learn more about the Archives of American Art, visit our website at www.aaa.si.edu. The Smithsonian is an equal opportunity employer.