Job Opening Title: Archives Assistant
Employer Name: SSM Health Archives
Job Location: St Louis MO
Years of experience required: 6 mos +
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Archives Assistant
Under the general direction of the System Manager – Archives, works on various archives projects; data entry, assist with processing collections, and other duties. Also, the archives assistant will work with the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Archives collections. The archives assistant must be willing to work independently in a secure and isolated setting while being responsible for sensitive materials.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
1. Imparts the philosophy, values, mission and vision of SSM Health
2. Understands, embraces and practices the principles of CQI.
3. Enter and update records in the Archives Past Perfect database.
4. Process historical materials received from SSM entities.
5. Scan, label, & organize photographs.
6. Assist with the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Archives.
7. Assist System Manager and Archives Specialist with various projects.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Understanding the Mission and Values of SSM Health Care
2. Ability and desire to integrate CQI principles and tools into work processes.
3. Familiarity with historical research methods and materials.
4. Ability to follow standard archival practices.
5. Ability to work on a diverse range of projects.
6. Ability to work independently in a secure environment with sensitive materials.
7. Willingness to learn principles of archival management as needed.
8. Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
1. Work is primarily sedentary.
2. Normal office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation.
3. Non-smoking environment.
4. Standard, climate-controlled work environment with adequate lighting and ventilation.
•Six months of archival or museum processing experience
•Experience with handling fragile items, including historical artifacts, photographs and documents
•Experience documenting items and workflows
•Graduate from an accredited college or university, preferably with a Bachelor’s degree in Archival Administration, History, Library Science or related discipline.