Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Employer Name: Norman Rockwell Museum
Job Location: Stockbridge, Massachusetts
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 1-2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position description:
IMLS (Institute of Museum and Library Services) Project Archivist at the Norman Rockwell Museum.
The Norman Rockwell Museum is currently seeking candidates for a two-year term Project Archivist position. The anticipated start date is January 1, 2020.
A background in Information Science or Archival Studies is preferred. Solid research, analytical, computer, and writing skills are required.
In collaboration with the Archivist, the primary responsibilities of the Project Archivist will include detail-processing and scanning of materials from five archival collections, as well as arrangement and description, basic archival preservation, and preparation of EAD encoded finding aids. This is a unique opportunity to gain archival experience in a welcoming and lively museum setting.
– 1-2 years of hands-on archival processing experience; select graduate internships or part-time work may be credited towards this experience.
– Demonstrated knowledge of archives and records management theory and practice, including experience processing archival materials.
– Knowledge of relevant standards for archival description, including DACS and EAD, and familiarity with other related metadata standards.
– Excellent organizational skills and ability to plan, coordinate, and implement complex projects.
– Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a production-oriented, team environment.
– Master’s degree in Library & Information Science with a concentration in Archives Management preferred. Individuals with relevant processing experience who are currently enrolled in a program may also be considered.
– Must be able to lift 40 pounds or more.
This position is funded by the IMLS for two years. The rate of pay is $17 per hour. The ideal candidate will be able to work a minimum of four days per week between 10am and 5pm, Monday- Friday, for the duration of the project. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
Please email resume and cover letter, to Venus Van Ness, Archivist, firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Museum:
Located in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, The Norman Rockwell Museum holds the world’s largest collection of works by Norman Rockwell, including more than 700 paintings and drawings, and an archive which includes the largest repository of Norman Rockwell’s personal papers.
The Norman Rockwell Museum’s mission is to promote art appreciation, education, and engagement in visual communication through the art of Norman Rockwell and other outstanding illustrators. The Museum curates innovative exhibitions that explore Rockwell’s art and the art of illustration.