Job Opening Title: Archives Assistant
Employer Name: Harvard Business School, Baker|Bloomberg
Job Location: Boston
Application Deadline: 12/06/2019
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Archives Assistant
Baker Library Special Collections, Knowledge and Library Services, Harvard Business School
(Part-time; no benefits)
Come work with us on a key archival collection at Baker Library Special Collections. Primary duties include providing detailed item level description, identifying restricted materials, basic preservation tasks, and creating a finding aid and accompanying catalog record.
In addition, under general supervision, the Archives Assistant will provide support for the core functions of accessioning and processing.
– Creating preliminary inventories and container lists of new and existing collections in accordance with archival best practices and local policy.
– Creating basic accession and resource records in ArchivesSpace, the library’s archival management system.
– Performing basic preservation measures where necessary, including re-foldering and rehousing of materials in a variety of formats.
– Assisting with the arrangement and description of unprocessed collections and preparing collections for public access.
– Processing small faculty and manuscript collections as time permits.
Skills, experience, credentials needed:
– BA/BS or equivalent.
– Demonstrated knowledge of archival theory and practice, including relevant standards such as DACS and EAD.
– Experience with confidential and/or restricted materials; ability to identify and work with restricted materials with discretion.
– Excellent organizational and written skills with a strong attention to detail.
– Excellent communication skills with the ability to be collaborative and work under supervision and independently.
– Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications, with an aptitude for learning systems.
– Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in archives.
– Prior experience with ArchivesSpace a plus.
– Must be able to regularly lift 40 lbs.
Schedule: 14 hours per week. Flexible, but must be Monday through Friday between 9am and 5pm.
Salary: $18 per hour.
To apply: Please submit resume and cover letter to Mary Samouelian firstname.lastname@example.org, or Baker Library Special Collections, Knowledge and Library Services, Harvard Business School, Boston, MA 02163. No phone calls please.