Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Employer Name: Historical Society of Long Beach
Job Location: 4260 Atlantic Ave, Long Beach CA 90807
Application Deadline: December 5,2019
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: .5
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Project Archivist is a full-time, hourly position. The position is temporary through April 3, 2020. The position maybe extended based on future funding and collection priorities.
Funded Project Priorities 2019/2020:
• Rehousing, cataloging, and creation of EAD finding aid for Long Beach Redevelopment Agency Collection slides and oversized prints.
• Coordinating volunteer assistance with collection processing.
• Overseeing and participating in the reorganization of a section of the archival storage area to accommodate new storage furniture for project slides and prints.
• Relocating and updating of PastPerfect database records for collections materials that move during the rearrangement of archival storage area.
• Presenting at a workshop in February or March about using the RDA collection.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
• Aiding in the development of projects and grant proposals to further collections care.
• Making recommendations and assisting with budgets for archival projects.
• Developing and suggesting collections policy and deaccession policy.
• Creating or overseeing accession records for all new contributions to the Historical Society of Long Beach.
• Organizing volunteers to catalog historical collections.
• Coordinating collection priorities with Historical Society of Long Beach exhibitions and initiatives.
• Cataloging and organizing exhibition materials.
• Researcher Services–responding to research inquiries, arranging appointments, staffing most appointments.
• Member of Exhibition team—assisting in research and selecting items; may include planning, digitization, and installation.
• Advanced Degree in Library Science or significant coursework towards advanced degree
• Experience working with archival materials
• Familiarity with content management systems
• Experience creating finding aids
• Developing authority files
• Ability to complete projects on-time
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• Flexibility and adaptability; ability to think creatively
• Constantly sit, perform desk-based computer tasks.
• Frequently twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasps lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, sort/file
paperwork or parts, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 40 pounds.
• Occasionally stand/walk, reach/work above shoulders, climb ladders and stairs
• Visitor Services—greeting visitors about the HSLB and our services; encouraging membership; assessing visitor needs; assisting researchers; accepting contributions of historical materials to the HSLB’s collection; talking about exhibitions; occasionally working Saturdays and Thursday evenings, and preplanned events.
• Answering telephone, retrieving messages, and responding to calls.
$15-$17.50 per hour
A cover letter, resume, and an example of a collection description or finding aid that you prepared should be emailed to JulieB@hslb.org by December 5, 2019.