This is a revised posting. The original was posted on December 11, 2019.
To be hired as independent contractor, Part-time, 2 days/week (15 hours per week)
8 months beginning in January 2020 with possibility of contract extension
The Greenwich Historical Society is a short walk from the Cos Cob Metro North train station.
- The Processing Archivist processes and catalogs archival and manuscript material, rehousing material as necessary in appropriate archival enclosures and creates finding aids in format consistent with other local collections. Creates resource records and enters finding aids in ArchivesSpace.
- Works with Curator of Library and Archives to identify materials in collections requiring conservation treatment.
- Determines supplies needed to rehouse collections and prepares order lists.
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school or equivalent accredited degree, with specialization in archival theory and practice
- Experience arranging and describing archival and manuscript material.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience using ArchivesSpace and demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to lift boxes weighing up to 40 pounds and climb ladder to remove and replace items on archival shelving units.
- Recent library school graduates welcome to apply.
Compensation: $30 per hour
Start Date: January 2020
Email cover letter, resume and three reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Processing Archivist Search” in the subject line by December 31st. No phone calls please.