Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Employer Name: The Poetry Collection, University at Buffalo
Job Location: Buffalo, NY
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Project Archivist, The Poetry Collection, University Libraries, University at Buffalo
Reporting to the Archivist for Special Collections, the Project Archivist will process approximately 300 linear feet of archival collections from the Poetry Collection backlog and create descriptive tools for each collection including Encoded Archival Description (EAD) finding aids. The Project Archivist will also assist the Archivist for Special Collections in processing new accessions to the Poetry Collection. This is a temporary one-year, part-time position for 22.5 hours per week with flexible days mutually determined by the Project Archivist and supervisor.
• Following national and local best practices, the Project Archivist will arrange and describe archival collections
• Describe collections and create finding aids in ArchivesSpace, the Libraries’ archival management system
• Perform basic preservation work
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science or Archival Studies
• At least one year of demonstrated experience in processing archival collections
• Knowledge of DACS, EAD, and ArchivesSpace or a related archival management system
• Knowledge of preservation needs of archival collections
• Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
• Evidence of analytical, organizational, and time management skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and complete tasks and projects on time and in accordance with task/project parameters
• Background in literature, history, or other humanities disciplines
• Experience working with audiovisual materials
• Some experience working with digital archival materials
To apply for this position
You must apply to the Assistant Librarian posting on UB Jobs: http://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu/postings/22702. Your cover letter should address the Project Archivist duties and qualifications as listed above. Contact Marie Elia at email@example.com with questions about the position.
About the Poetry Collection
A University at Buffalo Libraries Special Collection, the Poetry Collection is the library of record for 20th- and 21st-century poetry in English. Founded in 1937 by Charles Abbott, the Poetry Collection now holds one of the world’s largest collections of poetry first editions and other titles, little literary magazines, broadsides and anthologies; a substantial collection of artworks; and more than 150 archives and manuscript collections from a wide range of poets, presses, magazines and organizations.
The University at Buffalo is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic University community and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, women, veterans, disabled individuals, and other protected groups.