Job Opening Title: Executive Director
Employer Name: Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford
Job Location: West Hartford, CT
Application Deadline: 2/4/2020
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 5
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Job Announcement:
Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford
The Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford (JHSGH), located conveniently in West Hartford, CT, a vibrant community in central Connecticut, seeks an enthusiastic leader with proven experience to serve as its Executive Director. Supported by a strong community presence and located at the collaborative Jewish Community campus, the Society’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and promote the history of the Greater Hartford Jewish community. Our “small but mighty” organization has a rich archival collection, numerous historical publications and strong programming, which annually includes at least one exhibition, monthly programs, bus tours, and a consistent number of interesting individuals and researchers who use the archival collection on a regular basis.
The Executive Director of the JHSGH is responsible for fiscal leadership, general management and operations, including programs, partnerships, budget, public relations, recruiting and marketing. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with all constituents to develop, articulate and implement the strategic direction of the JHSGH to accomplish its mission.
The ideal candidate will be an outgoing and personable heritage professional with a proven record of success in community engagement, grant writing, administration, community collaborations, donor stewardship, and volunteer management. Also essential are a passion and knowledge of Jewish culture and history, effective written and verbal communication skills, financial literacy, and the ability to lead both board and staff with tact and diplomacy. We have two part-time employees in our quiet and comfortable workspace that includes an archivist and a program/administrative assistant, as well as an off-site bookkeeper.
• Minimum of five years leadership experience in a non-profit heritage organization or similar organization with knowledge of best management practices for non-profit operations, staffing and archives/collections growth and oversight. Experience in handling human resources.
• A track record as a successful grant writer and familiarity with key funding sources for heritage organizations.
• Increasing public awareness of the mission and programming offered by JHSGH to attract visitors, donors and volunteers to our programs.
• Work collaboratively with the board and staff in implementing the new vision of the JHSGH’s strategic plan that increases fundraising and community engagement while maintaining and preserving the mission and traditional qualities of the JHSGH.
• As the public ambassador of the organization, demonstrate strong communication skills in promoting JHSGH and expanding its base of support. Knowledge of social media, websites, and electronic communications essential.
• Experience with creating and implementing exhibitions, oral history projects and programming. Developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with community partners and institutions.
Qualifications: Degree in Museum Studies, Arts/Nonprofit Management/Administration, Public History, Judaic Studies, Education, or similar field. B.A. required. M.A. preferred.
Salary and Benefits Statement:
• Employment Type: Part Time, with the possibility of Full Time, 25-30 hours per week, with the possibility for flexible hours; occasional evening and weekend hours required for meetings and programs
• Benefits: Paid time off and retirement program
• Part Time Salary Range: Based on experience, room for growth
Equal Opportunity Employer
• Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. JHSGH is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications must include cover letter, résumé and contact information for three professional references. Application deadline Tuesday, February 4, 2020. Email to Risa Filkoff, Interim Executive Director. Email email@example.com . No phone calls, please.