Job Opening Title: Special Collections Librarian
Employer Name: Pritzker Military Museum & Library
Job Location: Chicago, IL 60603/60613
Application Deadline: When position is filled
Link to job posting: http://www.pritzkermilitary.org/about/employment/
Years of experience required: 1
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position: Special Collections Librarian
Type: Full Time
Institution: Pritzker Military Museum & Library
Location: Chicago, IL 60603
Salary: $43,000-$48,000 /year
Reporting to the Director of Museum Collections, the Special Collections Librarian is responsible for the PMML’s collection of artifacts, prints, posters, photographs, and maps. The Special Collections Librarian will organize, process, preserve, catalog and facilitate digitization and access to these special collections materials. They will also train and supervise cataloging interns, assist with developing exhibits, create and update website content, and oversee relevant content management systems.
Assigned Responsibilities and Duties:
• Catalog special collections materials in accordance with institutional policies and current metadata best practices.
• Facilitate the proper housing, storage, and organization of special collections materials.
• Conduct research necessary to properly identify and describe special collections materials.
• Train and supervise cataloging interns and maintain training materials related to cataloging special collections materials.
• Serve as a member of the PMML’s Collection Committee to help assess potential acquisitions for fitness with our mission and collection policy.
• Develop and maintain knowledge of current and evolving standards, guidelines, rules, best practices, tools, and trends regarding processing and describing special collections materials in all formats.
• Oversee current content management system and other inventory management tools as they relate to special collections.
• Support the creation of exhibits by researching special collection items, providing label text, and assisting with the installation and deinstallation of exhibits as necessary.
• Collaborate with marketing team to provide content for social media posts related to special collections materials.
• Assist with reference inquiries.
• Assist with the creation of website content.
• Assist with Library and exhibit tours.
• Assist with special projects as necessary.
• Attend workshops and conferences to further professional development in the field.
• Other duties as assigned by Museum & Library Management.
• MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited program.
• Minimum 1 year of experience working in special collections or archives.
• Experience using OCLC Connexion (browser-based or client version).
• Knowledge of the principles of bibliographic description including familiarity with MARC 21 format and RDA cataloging standard.
• Knowledge of current standards and best practices regarding processing and describing special collections materials.
• Familiarity with preservation and conservation standards for special collections materials as well as digital and born-digital materials.
• Experience with an integrated library system(s).
• Able to work some nights and weekends on a scheduled basis in support of Museum & Library events and exhibit installation and deinstallation.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent research and organizational skills
• Able to lift 40 pounds and work in an environment which may include dust and mold allergens.
• 3 years of professional experience working in a special collections library or archives.
• Additional certificate in special collections or substantial coursework in competencies related to special collections.
• Specialized knowledge or education related to photographs, artifacts, prints, posters, or maps.
• Experience cataloging two-dimensional nonprojected graphics and three-dimensional artifacts.
• Experience training or managing volunteers or interns in a library or archives.
• NACO and/or SACO training.
• Knowledge of and/or interest in American military history.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Dustin DePue, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.