Job Opening Title: Archivist
Employer Name: Dedham Historical Society & Museum
Job Location: Dedham, MA
Application Deadline: March 31, 2020
Link to job posting: https://dedhamhistorical.org/job-openings/
Years of experience required: 1+
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Dedham Historical Society & Museum (DHSM) seeks a part-time Archivist/Librarian to oversee, promote, and steward its important collections that reflect the history of one of the oldest and most historic communities in the nation. The archives have been described by professional consultants as being among the most signficant in New England. This position is part time. If you are interested in a full-time position please do not apply.
Essential functions of the DHSM Archivist/Librarian:
• Provide reference and/or research services to historical and genealogical
researchers, in person or by phone, email, or mail.
• Use database programs to catalog materials for accessioning and to run
reports (DHSM uses Past Perfect).
• Referencing the Collections Policy, appraise external library and archival
materials for possible accession to the collection through gifts or purchase;
consider materials for deaccessioning.
• Care for the archival collections, on-site and at off-site storage, and reference
library using current archival and records management best practices,
maintaining the physical collection with an eye toward preservation and
• Monitor climate and housing of materials in appropriate archival enclosures,
boxes, and on shelving.
• Make materials accessible by writing finding aids and working
with volunteers to do the same.
• Post/write to social media channels about collections at least 2x/week.
• Contribute information to the DHSM website and bimonthly newsletter.
• Provide ideas, reference services, and content for programs, publications,
exhibits, reports, grants, etc., and create exhibits using materials from the
• Assist with school programs and provide resources to support educators.
• Work with Past Perfect database to provide online accessibility/digitization of
• Build volunteer archives/research team and oversee those volunteers.
• Create monthly visitor reports for the board.
• Seek grant funding for archival projects and work with the executive
director on the submission of grants for the archives and library.
• Report to and under the direction of the executive director.
• Graduate degree in relevant field and/or ALA-accredited degree (MLS/MLIS or equivalent).
• Working knowledge of historic collections and their care and handling.
• Experience in aiding researchers and undertaking research.
• Strong organizational and communications skills.
• Familiarity with collections databases and digitizing collections.
• Experience with research and writing.
• Familiarity with social media; ability to write for online audience and post.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.