Job Opening Title: Digital Project Archivist
Employer Name: Avila University
Job Location: Kansas City, MO
Salary Range: $22/hr
Link to job posting: https://www.avila.edu/avila-life/about-avila/employment
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position Available: Digital Project Archivist (part-time, term, grant-funded)
Appointment Date: Open until filled; This is a part-time, grant-funded term position, guaranteed for at least one year from the time of hire.
Responsibilities: The Digital Project Archivist will arrange, describe and preserve materials created as part of the Conrad Hilton Foundation grant Cultural Diversity and Conflict Management. From 2015 to 2019, the Sisters of St. Joseph created, developed, and taught a curriculum to address the growing cultural diversity and conflict within their global community of congregations in 60 countries and across five continents. To strengthen global sisters’ networks and religious identity and to better serve constituents, the project aimed to provide knowledge, skills, and spiritual identity to a core group who could then return to their home congregations and further disseminate the curriculum.
The Project Archivist will assist in providing even broader access for these curricular materials through the creation of a web-accessible digital collection, while also implementing a plan for long-term preservation of all materials created in conjunction with this project.
This is a temporary one-year, part-time position with a flexible schedule, to be mutually determined by the Project Archivist and supervisor. Maximum of 18 hours per week.
• Organize (arrange and describe) digitized and born-digital files created as part of the CDCM project.
• Create metadata and standardize file names before uploading to a digital exhibit platform, in order to ease the retrieval of files.
• Manage file rights and access permissions.
• Ensure preservation of master copies.
• Follow all policies and procedures for the Martha Smith CSJ, PhD Archives & Records Center.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Graduate level coursework in Archival Studies, Library & Information Science, Digital Curation, or related degree preferred. Experience working in an archival repository may be substituted for formal coursework.
• Familiarity with ArchiveSpace, or other archival content management software.
• Familiarity with digital collection or digital exhibition platforms, such as Omeka preferred.
• Knowledge of archival principles and standards.
• Strong organizational and analytical skills.
• Ability to work independently, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
• Effective written and oral communication skills.
Salary: $22/hour (part-time, maximum of 18 hours/week)
Application Information: Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com (email preferred) or mail to:
Office of Human Resources
11901 Wornall Road
Kansas City, Missouri 64145-1698
The Community: Kansas City, a two-state metropolitan area with a population of nearly two million, offers a wide variety of cultural, educational and social life opportunities
Avila University, a Catholic university founded and inspired by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, provides undergraduate and graduate education in the liberal arts and professional studies, preparing lifelong learners who make meaningful contributions to the global community.
Avila University is committed to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of, sex, race, religion, age, color, sexual orientation, disability, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veterans status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.