Job Opening Title: Cataloging Library Technician
Employer Name: West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Job Location: West Chester, PA
Application Deadline: March 25, 2020
Salary Range: $39,120.00
Years of experience required: 2-4
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Join a vibrant campus community whose excellence is reflected in its diversity and student success. West Chester University of Pennsylvania’s department of University Libraries invites applicants for the position of Cataloging Library Technician. The candidate will be collaborative, enthusiastic and bring experience and creativity to a dynamic library environment. This is a technical position requiring knowledge of cataloging and metadata practices and procedures.
The copy cataloging and processing of physical and electronic library materials for the Libraries’ main circulating, Instructional Media Center (IMC), Government Documents and Special Collections; Editing of existing description as appropriate for digital collection records; Assisting in the implementation and production of new metadata and digital projects as assigned by Library Faculty; Supervision and training of student workers.
The Cataloging Technician exercises independence in carrying out day-to-day work in the Cataloging and Metadata Unit for University Libraries and should be dependable, value teamwork, take initiative, solve problems effectively, communicate clearly, and support organizational change.
Selection Criteria: Minimum Education & Training
– Four years of library-clerical work including two years of advanced library clerical work comparable to the Library Assistant II, and graduation from high school OR
– Two years of advanced library clerical work, and an associate degree or equivalent training with major course work in library science OR
– A bachelor’s degree.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– Knowledge of library techniques, procedures, and working tools used in accessioning, cataloging, circulating, and maintaining library materials.
– Knowledge of the methods and procedures used in bibliography preparation and the use of library research materials.
– Knowledge of reader comprehension and interest levels of library patrons.
– Skill in the application of the techniques and procedures used in cataloging.
– Ability to apply library methods and principles in circulation and providing reader services.
– Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other library personnel and the public.
Candidates must apply online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wcupa/default.cfm Electronic application allows for cover letter and resume attachments.
Applicants must successfully complete the interview process to be considered as a finalist.
Developing and sustaining a diverse faculty and staff advances WCU’s educational mission. The University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer encouraging diversity. Women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background checks.