Job Opening Title: Temporary Collections Managers
Employer Name: History Associates
Job Location: New London, CT
Application Deadline: 10/1/20
Link to job posting: https://www.historyassociates.com/careers/temporary-collections-managers/
Years of experience required: 2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: History Associates (HAI) is excited to announce we are seeking three experienced full-time collections managers with artifact handling and collections management/inventory experience to work on a short-term project in New London, Connecticut. This project is expected to last for approximately two months. The position is contingent upon HAI being awarded the project.
History Associates is a professional historical services firm providing customized historical, archival, digital archives, records management, museum and exhibit services to industry, the professions, government, and non-profit organizations for over thirty years.
The Collections Managers will assist in conducting an inventory and in flagging inconsistencies during a wall-to-wall inventory. Alongside a team of museum professionals, and under the supervision of the Project Manager, work will include verifying specific catalog fields and reconciling that information with existing data.
The position will involve both working independently and with other project and museum staff in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively communicate and meet strict deadlines while achieving accurate data processing and accountability for the collections.
Bachelor’s degree in History, Library Science, Museum Studies or other applicable field
(Preference given to Master’s degree in Museum Studies or related focus)
– Minimum two years of experience artifact handling and cataloging historical material and/or artwork
– Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PastPerfect database or similar collections management systems and MS Office Suite
– Proven examples of working under strict deadlines
– Understanding of and experience in conducting a museum inventory and implementing standard nomenclature (Chenhall’s).
– Demonstrated practical knowledge of collections policies and procedures
– Ability to work independently and to exercise discretion, initiative, and judgment
– Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with others
– Strong writing and verbal communication skills
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, (unofficial) transcripts, names and contact information including e-mail address of three references to:
History Associates Incorporated
Attn: Doris Miles, Director of Personnel
300 N. Stonestreet Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850
This position is not eligible for healthcare or paid leave offered by HAI
History Associates is an equal opportunity employer