Job Opening Title: Project Archivist
Employer Name: Sisters of St. Casimir
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Application Deadline: October 31, 2020
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Position Overview:
The Sisters of St. Casimir are seeking a full-time archivist to prepare the archives for eventual transfer to a collaborative repository. The role of the archivist is to survey the collection, determine what work must be done to meet the likely repository’s intake standards, update the collection to these standards, and ultimately prepare the collection for a successful transfer of the materials to the repository. The archivist reports to the Associate Treasurer, who sits on the Archives Committee.
The Sisters of St. Casimir is a community of women religious founded in 1907, in Scranton, PA, by Venerable Maria Kaupas. Mother Maria desired to found a congregation which would sustain and nurture the faith life of the early Lithuanian immigrants in the United States. She encouraged her Sisters to do the same and then to “welcome” and care for all others who would become part of their lives.
The collection itself provides comprehensive documentation of the Sisters’ history, and has been well maintained throughout the years. Though there is work to be done to bring the collection up to archival best practices, it currently stands in incredibly good condition and will take well to the adjustments needed to bring it up to standard.
The Sisters of St. Casimir have always understood the importance of their archives, as evidenced by the recent creation of the Sisters of St. Casimir Legacy Room, located at the former Sisters of St. Casimir Motherhouse in Chicago, IL. It tells the story of the Sisters of St. Casimir: their founding, the ways they have embraced their mission to foster the life of faith, and how they responded—with generosity and compassion—to the needs of their time.
Legacy Room Virtual Tour: https://www.sistersofstcasimir.org/legacy-room/
Archivist Essential Functions:
· Comprehensive knowledge of archival standards.
· Able to work with colleagues and Sisters to become familiar with collection.
· Comfortable with rehousing a variety of formats.
· Able to order archival supplies as needed working within budgetary and finance office procedures.
· Able to manage interns and project workers as needed.
· Able to digitize analogue schema and maintain correlation to collection order.
· Able to update schema as necessary to bring it up to repository standard.
· Able to assist the Archives Committee in matters pertaining to the archives including:
o understanding the needs of the repository
o collaborating with the repository to ensure preparedness for a successful transfer.
· Able to network with archivists of other institutions.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Commitment to support the Mission and Vision of the Sisters of Saint Casimir.
· Strong familiarity with Microsoft Excel.
· MLIS or related MA degree, with a strong focus on archives and/or special collections.
· At least one to two years of experience in archival work.
· Knowledge of DACS.