Job Opening Title: PT Lab Assistant – Born Digital and Media Preservation Services
Employer Name: Stanford Libraries
Job Location: Redwood City, CA
Salary Range: $24/hr
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: JOB DESCRIPTION: The lab assistant will support processing of born-digital archival material for access and long-term preservation. Duties include photographing the media, creating disk images of the media, analyzing data using purpose-built applications, configuring and running scripts, updating accession records, and preparing the files for ingestion to the Stanford Digital Repository.
WORK TO BE DONE: On Site at 415 Broadway, Redwood City. Remote work is NOT possible with this position.
Position requires in-person presence at Stanford’s Redwood City campus with daily adherence to COVID-19 safety measures. All staff working on campus are required to undergo weekly COVID-19 testing. These tests are self administered and provided by Stanford University. Staff wear face masks and socially distance while on site.
• High level of proficiency with computers and desktop applications required
• Knowledge of digital preservation
• Knowledge of obsolete computer storage media
• Demonstrated problem-solving ability
• Working knowledge of archival repositories and their procedures
• Demonstrated experience in using judgment and initiative
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a production-oriented, team environment.
• Rehousing and labelling computer media
• Bulk capture projects (3.5 inch floppy disk, CD, DVD)
• Routine file normalization, transcoding, and derivative processing (eg., Monterey Jazz Festival, Stanford Oral History Project, • • Museum of Occupations of Latvia)
• Digital forensics collection surveying
• Running tools like Brunnhilde, Siegfried, Clam TK
• Reviewing and reporting on results
• Analyzing complicated post production projects (e.g., David Bohrman, Telling Pictures)
• Updating information in ArchivesSpace
• Creating capture events
$24/hour, maximum of 19 hours per week. Specific on-site hours are negotiable, but must be completed Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM.
Please submit a resume and brief description of your interest in the position to aschweik [at] stanford [dot] edu and mgolson [at] stanford [dot] edu. You may also contact with further questions about the position. Successful applicants are required to pass a background check. Thank you!