Job Opening Title: Consulting Archivist
Employer Name: Idea2Form
Job Location: East Palo Alto/ remote
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 1
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Opportunity:
East Palo Alto (EPA) was built on the notion of self-determination and a long history of Civil Rights actions, the Black Power Movement and the Pan-African Movement. It has long been a cultural hub within the Bay Area. Cultural preservation and celebration is the foundation on which EPA was built. However, much of its cultural identity has evolved as the population has changed as pressures from surrounding areas have caused displacement. Led by its elders, the community of East Palo Alto will come together to document the history of their own commonality, through the EPA Community Archive.
The project will create a digital and physical archive that serves as a tribute to the people of East Palo past, present and future. The archive will also serve as a regional and national resource telling the unsung history of EPA. The Community Archive will include: intellectual, physical, and media elements recording historical objects, places, traditions, events and individuals who collectively shaped East Palo Alto.
This is a community-led design and archival process built in collaboration with a professional archivist.
This archivist will work with the Community to help define the scope and structure of the archive. The archivist is responsible for the organization and documentation of multi-format collections and possesses an understanding of scholarly research and documentary practices in folklife, documentary studies, oral history and/or other related subject areas. The work requires preliminary analysis of the documentation systems and practices of the originating organization or individual whose documentary materials are being processed. The archivist consults with Community members on the significance of archival material in its cultural and historical context to help execute a plan of arrangement and description.
The Archivist employs archival standards and best practices to appraise, accession, survey, arrange, describe and preserve a variety of archival collections. The Archivist provides strategic planning, oversight, and execution for receiving, cataloging, preserving, curating, and storing all film, audio, video, digital and documents. This involves creation of an archival database & storage facilities in accordance with industry best practices.
● Use archival management best practices to develop and steward collections held by the people of East Palo Alto.
● Manage collection acquisition and collection development
● Develop, review and uphold collection policy in collaboration with Community
● Develop and oversee policies and procedures for accessioning, cataloging, processing and preservation activities
● Designs, implements, and oversees a digitization schedule for analog archival material.
● Plans and implements technology related to the management of digital archival collections, including reformatting, data migration, and the management of digitized resources.
● Responsible for the physical stabilization of collection material including identification of preservation needs
● Develop a comprehensive processing manual as well as establishing best practices and workflows for use in training future staff and volunteers
● Analyzes and determines appropriate preservation priorities and actions to ensure long-term storage and security of both physical and digital collection material. Makes recommendations as to storage capacity and space needs and use.
● Review potential archival management systems
● Compile condition reports as needed, manages retention, and updates records in the collection management system.
● Provides assessment of the scope and quality of work performed by processing technicians, interns, and other team members. Trains community volunteers in evolving technologies.
● Knowledge of museum and/or archival best practices in conservation, preservation, handling, and care of collections.
● Knowledge of digital curation and descriptive tools, information technologies and integrated library systems to support archival functions.
● Experience in digital collections processing or digital curation
● Knowledge of the principles, concepts, and techniques of archival work, including analysis, organization, and description of archival material.
● Knowledge of or interest in community archives, oral history or public history
● Experience working with culturally diverse populations
● Knowledge of reference and research services. Ability to communicate effectively other than in writing.
● Ability to evaluate risks and enforce access and use policies.
● Ability to perform basic preservation duties.
● Close connection to communities of color
Education & Skills
● Graduate degree in Archival Studies, Library Science, Information Science, Museum Studies, or related field
● Formal coursework or training in archival management and theory
● One year of professional archival processing experience
● Familiarity with current approaches to accessioning, processing and describing born-digital holdings
● High level of organization and detail orientation skills
● Excellent interpersonal, and communication skills (both oral and written)
● Works collaboratively and effectively both as a team member and independently
● Demonstrated project management experience including creating processing plans
● Demonstrated experience in supervision of students, interns or volunteers in a special collections environment, including training and reviewing work
● Demonstrates clear understanding that confidentiality is a top priority
● Spanish proficiency a plus
The work associated with this position will initially be performed remotely in response to COVID-19. Work in the longer-term is expected to be conducted through a combination of both remote and on-site presence in office space situated in East Palo Alto, California.
This is a 10-12 month appointment. Upon initial appointment the archivist will work with the community to scope the project. Hours will increase after scope is complete but will not exceed 32 hours/week. Salary commensurate with experience. Flexible hours and options for some remote work negotiable.
Idea2Form (I2F) is a collaborative design studio and strategy consultancy specializing in design for social impact. I2F works with leading nonprofits, foundations and purpose-driven companies and celebrities on advancing their social impact initiatives through integrated, holistic and sustainable design solutions. I2F is managing the hiring of this position and will work closely with Emerson Collective’s Bloomhouse team and the EPA Community Archive Project leaders on coordinating with the archivist.
To apply please fill out this form at https://i2f.formstack.com/forms/archivist_position