Job Opening Title: Library Services, Solutions Architect & Subject Matter Expert-Digital Archival
Employer Name: Iron Mountain
Job Location: Livermore, California
Years of experience required: 7+
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Library Services Solutions Architect and Subject Matter Expert with a Focus on Digital Preservation
Iron Mountain Library Services is a new business within Iron Mountain that leverages the organization’s extensive capabilities and footprint to deliver new collection options for libraries and archives. Our team provides expert consulting to libraries helping with planning and execution of relocation projects, collections storage strategies, and digitization programs. The SME will represent the capabilities of Iron Mountain to libraries and the specific needs of libraries to our extensive Iron Mountain network. We are looking for candidates that have a broad background in libraries, archives or special collections, and are comfortable in a fast-paced and continually evolving business environment. This is an exciting, non-standard opportunity where the right person can grow their skills and their professional network.
The Library Services Subject Matter Expert (SME) individual contributor role is a unique role to Iron Mountain with professional librarians and archivists in a sales solution architect function to help engage with customers and develop custom solutions.
The ideal candidate will bring a deep understanding of library collection management strategy and digital access approaches. In addition, the individual hired for this position will directly influence and develop the digitization service capabilities in our newly built, FADGI compliant, archival digitization lab. The Bay area is the focus geography for providing new opportunities and solutions for at-scale digital conversion to Iron Mountain Library Services customers requiring preservation level digitization
This a dynamic hands-on role encompassing both academic and corporate business functions, driving growth within a new business through sales and solution delivery. It requires looking at new ways to solve established challenges in the library and archives community. This role entails meeting and talking with many different constituencies on a daily basis and is ideally suited to those that enjoy socializing and engaging deeply for long hours. This is an ideal position for those who are comfortable with flexible and broad cross-functional thinking, innovation, and creativity. Up to 70% travel required.
● Work with customers to understand their needs and develop solution recommendations
● Engage with customers to open up new business opportunities
● Responsible for working closely with Iron Mountain sales professionals to drive Library Services sales to successful completion
● Collaborate with Iron Mountain operations and project teams to deliver solutions
● Use modeling tools to configure customized project and pricing models
● Develop proposals for delivery to customers
● Track sales success and pipeline for opportunities in the SME assigned region
● Work with cross-functional teams to respond to RFPs and government bids
● Sales rep follow-up and Sales Support on Library Services opportunities
● Develop methodologies, workflows, and best practices for preservation level digitization practices
● Train digital services employees in best practices in material handling and capture methodologies
● Drive growth and develop new approaches in the archival digitization market space
● Attend relevant library and archives conferences and marketing events to create and advance opportunities
○ Master’s Degree in Library Science
○ 7+ years experience working in a library, archives or special collections. Must have experience in academic research institutions. Corporate, government, public or private library and archives experience is highly beneficial.
○ Superior interpersonal skills to interact effectively with people at all organizational levels of the company
○ Ability to independently analyze problems and recommend solutions
○ Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a team based environment and to regularly share knowledge and learnings
○ Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize effectively as well as the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
○ Deadline driven, and ability to work well under pressure
○ Capability to handle change, including work reprioritization, strategic direction alterations, and the introduction of new approaches
○ Strong verbal, presentation, and written communication skills
○ A high degree of initiative and tolerance for considering new and unconventional approaches to collection management and conversion
● Digital Conversion and Preservation Experience:
○ Demonstrated knowledge of digital archives and current digital preservation standards.
○ Strong familiarity with cultural heritage digitization practice “standards” including FADGI, Metamorfoze, and ISO 19264-1.
○ Familiarity with a range of digital file formats
○ Understanding of preservation level repository models including the OAIS reference model
○ Experience with metadata standards including EAD, PREMIS, METS, and general metadata structures such as XML.
● Ability to travel (up to 70%)
It is the responsibility of every Iron Mountain employee:
● to comply with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, and company policies
● to exhibit ethical behavior in accordance with our Code of Ethics and Business Conduct
● to complete required training within the allotted time frame