Job Opening Title: Book Conservator
Employer Name: NYC Dept of Records & Information Services
Job Location: 31 Chambers Street NY NY 10007
Application Deadline: Post until filled
Salary Range: 35.00
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 3 years
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: JOB DESCRIPTION:
The New York City Municipal Archives Conservation Unit seeks a part-time (4 days/week), contract book conservator for an approximately 5-month term position to begin immediately. The successful candidate will participate in a grant-funded project to conserve a selection of the Archives’ “Old Town” ledgers dating from the 17th to early 20th century. Tasks will include full treatment of paper including treatment of deteriorated iron gall ink, rebinding of oversized ledgers in both cloth and leather, construction of drop-spine boxes, and other duties related to the conservation of bound volumes.
• A master’s degree in conservation, or equivalent training and experience;
• All candidates are required to have a minimum of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
• At least 3 years experience in the assessment and treatment of bound materials;
• Experience with creating and implementing treatment plans and completing before, during, and after treatment documentation in accordance with the AIC Code of Ethics;
• Ability to plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines;
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills;
• Ability to stand for hours at a time, lift and transport up to 30lbs, and work in areas that may include exposure to dust and/or mold
FOR CONSIDERATION, EMAIL A RESUME WITH A COVER LETTER TO: RECRUIT@RECORDS.NYC.GOV WITH SUBJECT
BOOK CONSERVATOR. SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL BE CONTACTED VIA EMAIL.
Visit our website to find out more about us: www.nyc.gov/records