Job Opening Title: Library Intern
Employer Name: Senate of Pennsylvania
Job Location: Harrisburg, PA
Application Deadline: 8-6-21
Salary Range: 11.00
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 0-1
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Library of the Senate of Pennsylvania
Job Title: Library Intern
Under general supervision of the Senate Secretary, a Library Intern will provide bi-partisan research support to the Senate Library and the Senate of Pennsylvania for use in a variety of projects. Housed in the Senate Library, the internship will be intermittently supervised by Senate Librarian, and the candidate will collaborate extensively with members of the Library staff. The candidate will oversee research for Historical Biographies and rotating Library exhibitions. The Library Intern will also provide customer service, administrative, archival, and document management support as needed.
The internship operates in 90 day terms and is open to graduate students three times a year: spring, summer and fall semesters. The internship is part time and will not exceed 90 hours per pay cycle nor 37.5 hours a week. Academic credit is set up by the individual college/university with flexible days and times provided by the Senate Library. This is a paid, $11.00 an hour, on-site internship in the Pennsylvania Capitol Senate Library.
• Bibliographic control of historical Senate, monographs, serials and archival material
• Conducts research for Historical Biographies Project
• Conducts research and drafts narratives for rotating Library exhibits
• Conducts general, Institutional research for use by the Senate of Pennsylvania
• Responds to internal and external research inquires
• Provides archival and collections management support
• Provides administrative support to Senate Library staff
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of historical research process, or ability to be trained by a library profession
• Knowledge of legislative research process, or ability to be trained by a library professional
• Knowledge of English language conventions, grammar, and composition
• Skill in collecting and analyzing research from a variety of internal and external sources
• Skill in academic writing for publication
• Skill in fact checking primary and secondary sources for accuracy
• Skill in copyediting documents
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally or in writing
• Ability to prioritize work in order to meet multiple, conflicting deadlines
• Ability to prepare and maintain records, archival files, and catalog
• Ability to handle confidential, Institutional documents
• Ability to work in a team setting and collaborate with individuals with varying titles and responsibilities
• Ability to network with local and state organizations to make inquiries, fulfill requests, and develop working relationships
• Candidate must be willing to work on-site in Harrisburg, PA and provide their own parking.
• Enrollment in a related graduate degree program (library science, archives, history, etc) and 3.0 GPA is required at time of application.
• Intermediate-level academic research and writing experience required.
• Experience in historical preservation, document management, archiving, and/or customer service preferred.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume to Alexandra Acri Barbush, Librarian of the Senate of Pennsylvania, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalists for the internship will be contacted for an interview.
Please feel free to contact the Library of the Senate with your questions at email@example.com or 1-717-787-6120.