Job Opening Title: Manuscript Processor (Temporary, Part-time)
Employer Name: Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum
Job Location: Rowley, MA
Salary Range: $20/hour
Link to job posting: https://www.pem.org/employment/open-positions
Years of experience required: 1-2
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Overview:
The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum is one of the oldest libraries in the country and holds a significant proportion of material that is unique or rare. Its collections include manuscripts, books, pamphlets, newspapers, photographs, maps, broadsides, and ephemera–a combination of primary and secondary sources that establishes the Phillips Library as a rich and productive location for research and discovery.
The Library seeks a temporary, part-time Manuscript Processor for a term of approximately one year at 14 hours per week. This position’s primary responsibility is to process the Bates & Co. and Carleton Norwood Company collections–totaling about 55 linear feet– to make records of a century of maritime history publicly accessible for research. Core duties include arranging, describing, preserving, rehousing, and creating finding aids according to industry and local standards and best practices. Candidates must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and comfortable working independently and in a small team environment.
The work will take place at PEM’s Collection Center in Rowley, Massachusetts.
• Arrange and process archival collections according to industry standards
• Follow established protocols for handling fragile documents, photographs, publications, and other archival materials
• Perform light preservation as needed
• Create finding aids in ArchivesSpace
• Update MARC records
• Track, monitor, and report progress of the project
• Other duties as assigned
May include a bachelor’s degree, relevant Masters degree, or combination of education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Please note that training can and will be provided to successful candidates for some required experiences and abilities listed below.
Experience and Abilities
• Experience with creating finding aids
• Knowledge of industry terminology and standards, including DACS and MARC
• Knowledge of controlled vocabularies
• Experience with these software packages and platforms preferred:
o Microsoft Office
o Google Suite
• Knowledge of basic preservation techniques for paper-based collections
• Must be detail-oriented and self-motivated, and able to work independently and to work collaboratively in a small team environment
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
• Reliable transportation required
Collections may include heavy materials stored on shelves up to 12 feet high. The majority of the work will take place at a desk with fragile paper-based materials. Some exposure to dust and dormant mold is inevitable.
$20/hour with limited benefits.
PEM is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Please apply online: https://www.pem.org/employment/open-positions