Job Opening Title: Public Services Assistant
Employer Name: MIT Libraries, Department of Distinctive Collections
Job Location: Cambridge, MA
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin September 22
Salary Range: Hourly Rate: $18.5/hour minimum; actual based on qualifications and experience.
Link to job posting:
Years of experience required: 0
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Start Date/Duration: 9 months (Term is through May 30th – end of the academic year with the possibility of summer extension.)
Supervisor: Alex McGee
Schedule: 35 hours per week. Monday – Friday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (schedule to be determined – some flexibility in scheduling is possible)
Hourly Rate: $18.5/hour minimum; actual based on qualifications and experience.
Distinctive Collections collects, preserves, and fosters the use of unique and rare materials such as physical and digital archives, manuscripts, ephemera, artists’ books, and more. With these collections the Libraries seeks to cultivate an interest in the past, present, and future; the humanistic and the scientific; and the physical and the digital in order to inspire and enable research, learning, experimentation, and play for a diverse community of users.
The Reference Assistant will work under the direction of the Head of Public Services and support the reference team in reference,
access, and outreach activities.
• Work at reference desk approximately 24 hours a week or serve as a backup to the reference desk
• Assist users with answering routine questions while on the desk
• Handle reading room paging and the maintenance of reading room
• Assist in the processing of off-site deliveries
• Assist with processing of collections: reboxing and refoldering
• Conduct research and draft responses to reference questions, particularly biographical questions
• Conduct research on specific topics or collections
• Assist in the imaging of collections including aiding in preparing items to be transferred to the imaging lab and making quick scans for users or staff
• Assist in the creation of posts for social media and exhibits
Ability to work independently and with a team with an eye for detail is important. Must be able to lift record carton size boxes (up to 40 lbs.) and move loaded carts weighing up to 150 lbs.
Requires familiarity with Microsoft Office products and Google Suite. Familiarity with library and archives software and tools (Aeon, ArchivesSpace, Springshare LibApps) helpful but not
Possibility to work remotely one day a week on Fridays.
Walking distance from MIT/Kendall MBTA stop (Red Line)
How to apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Alex McGee, interim head of public services at email@example.com. Please feel free to email with questions.