Job Opening Title: Director of Archives
Employer Name: University of South Carolina Lancaster
Job Location: Lancaster, SC
Salary Range: $45,000
Link to job posting: https://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/107788
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The University of South Carolina Lancaster, a regional campus of the University of South Carolina located approximately thirty-five (35) miles south of Charlotte, NC, seeks candidates for a tenure-track faculty librarian position as Director of Archives beginning August 16, 2022.
Applicants should hold a Master’s degree in Library Science.
The Director of Archives handles collection development decisions based on knowledge of regional history and culture, awareness of archival standards and trends, and understanding user needs. The Director is responsible for:
– Initiating and participating in outreach, reference, and collection development activities for Special Collections and Archives.
– Initiating collection development by maintaining and cultivating donor relations, appraising potential collections, and acquiring/accessioning collections that meet the archive’s collection development policies
– Providing access to archival collections by creating finding aids, collection-level records, and metadata descriptions and maintains a database on collections, storage space allocations, provenance, and usage rights
– Following professional archival best practices to ensure appropriate acquisition, arrangement, description, preservation, and use of materials in the USCL collections.
– Working in a culturally sensitive manner when archiving materials such as Native American artifacts and records.
Scholarship, advising, and university/community service are expected.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to USC Lancaster’s Native American Studies Center including its mission of outreach to Native American communities.
Candidates must have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.