Job Opening Title: Collections Information Manager
Employer Name: Saint Louis Art Museum
Job Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Salary Range: Minimum: $58,565 annually
Link to job posting: https://us61e2.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/slam/Posting/View/222
Years of experience required:
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Collections Information Manager
Summary: Ensure the integrity of and access to collections information both inside and outside the museum through the administration of the collections management system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate in the planning of collection-related projects throughout the Museum, including gathering functional and technical requirements for each project. Promote and support expanded use of TMS for a wider variety of endeavors. Develop and implement strategies for data entry and reporting in support of new initiatives.
• Support the integrity of collections data by creating tools for users and their supervisors to monitor data quality, ensuring that standards and procedures are followed. Use available tools, such as TMS Audit Trail, TMS Alerts, Crystal Reports, and SQL queries, to perform data-hygiene checks, expose entries which do not meet standards, and perform cleanup as needed.
• Work closely with colleagues in Digital Assets and Information Technology to ensure that SLAM’s online collections data is mapped from TMS properly and accurately. Collaborate with intradepartmental team to develop new ideas for digital projects, using TMS as the data source.
• Standardize and document field usage, preferred terminology, and authority controls, including expanded use of Getty Vocabularies and Linked Open Data resources. Manage documentation of data standards for all modules in the collections management system through the administration of Collections Information SharePoint site.
• Write complex SQL queries and data update scripts; develop custom database objects including views, stored procedures, and functions to improve processes, automate workflows, facilitate ease of reporting, and increase efficiency for data-entry users. Perform batch data updates using SQL scripts and the TMS Object Importer Tool, as appropriate.
• Manage configuration and security settings, user accounts, and query groups for TMS and suite of related applications. Provide training and support to users; offer supplementary training sessions to all user groups as needed.
• Manage portfolio of reports and develop ad-hoc reports as needed, using Crystal Reports and PowerBI software. Manage work of report development contractor.
• Create and manage library of custom forms, alerts and list views using a combination of SQL scripts and the TMS Form Designer and List View Designer applications.
• Supervise and direct the work of the Collections Database Assistant and Collections Cataloger.
• Keep abreast of developments and standards in the fields of museum collections management systems, database administration, information management, and related reporting and analytics applications.
• Serve as primary liaison to Gallery Systems for user concerns. Escalate support requests as needed, report bugs, and submit feature requests.
• Represent SLAM in TMS user community online and at conferences.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree preferred), preferably in Museum Studies, Information Science, or a related field. Minimum three years’ experience in a combination of museum registration and database management, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of standard practices in collections management, registration procedures, and use of metadata in a museum, archive, or special collections environment. Proficiency working in complex database applications at the Administrator level, including application configuration. Proficiency with museum collections management systems, especially The Museum System (TMS) preferred. Proficiency in developing, editing, and troubleshooting reports and dashboards, preferably in Crystal Reports and PowerBI, including use of parameters, formulas, and sub reports. Strong relational database skills. Ability to create and troubleshoot complex queries and custom database objects in SSMS (SQL Server). Knowledge of published vocabularies, standards, and linked data tools such as the AAT, CCO, LCNAF, TGN, ULAN, VIAF, and Wikidata. Proficiency in programming/scripting languages, or SharePoint preferred. Experience with business analysis, digital asset management, or project management preferred. Must possess initiative to pursue new skills. Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail; enjoys creating order from disorder. Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively. Ability to work well with people and maintain effective ongoing internal and external working relationships is a must.
COVID-19 Requirement: Must be fully vaccinated to qualify for on-site interview and/or offer of employment
Minimum of Range: $58,565/annually
Status: Regular full-time
Please include a resume and cover letter in PDF format.
The Saint Louis Art Museum is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
The Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience, without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.