Job Opening Title: Archivist
Employer Name: The Ohio Genealogical Society, Inc
Job Location: Bellville, Ohio
Application Deadline: January 31, 2022
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Years of experience required: NA
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Relationship and Authority:
Reports to the Library Collections Manager. Works with the Access Committee to achieve goals. Supervises student interns and volunteers who work with archival and digital projects.
Bachelor’s degree in history, archival science, library science, or a related field, or equivalent education and training in archives. Master of Library Science, Library and Information Science, or Archives and Records Administration degrees preferred. Current graduate students and new graduates are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Job Duties:
• Manage OGS manuscript collection and the Lyle H. “Hal” West archive room
• Operate archival projects and workflows (including cost and time estimates), complying with professional standards and practices
• Process archival material by evaluating, organizing, preserving materials according to archival best practices
• Provide access to archival material by writing finding aids, aiding in cataloging, and supporting discoverability through the OGS website
• Perform collection development, obtain donor permissions, and order supplies
• Recruit, train, supervise, and coordinate volunteers, interns, and paid staff in archival procedures
• Digitize library and archive collections by scanning and editing documents
• Perform quality control and measurement of project success
• Submit an overall archival plan and timetable (at least semi-annually) to the Library Collections Manager and Access Committee establishing priorities and identifying funding and staff needs to fulfill collection development goals.
• Report activities bimonthly to Library Collections Manager, Access Committee, and Manage Committee and periodically create stories of general interest for marketing/publicity purposes (Ohio Genealogy News, OGS Blog, Facebook, etc.)
• Continue education and participate with organizations in the archive field and be familiar with copyright law
• Oversee library operations and volunteer in the absence of other staff, and may perform other duties as directed by the OGS President and Board of Trustees.
• Must be able to use hands and fingers to grasp, handle and manipulate materials and operate tools and controls, including computers, phones and office equipment.
• Engage in extended periods of sitting, standing, typing and viewing computer monitors.
• Engage in intermittent periods, walking, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting/turning and stretching to shelve materials on shelves of varying heights from above shoulders to below knees.
• Occasionally required to lift and carry equipment and materials weighing 40 – 60 pounds, to push loaded book trucks weighing 75 – 100 pounds on carpet, to get on hands and knees, and use stools 14 ½ inches from ground and ladders 5 feet from ground to reach upper shelves.
Additional Position Information:
• Competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.
• Schedule has flexibility; working on some Saturdays will be required.
• Required Documents: Cover letter, resume, and references upon request.
The Ohio Genealogical Society’s mission is to protect and share Ohio’s family history resources, develop engaging educational opportunities, and connect genealogists.
OGS is an equal opportunity employer and all employment decisions are based solely on a person’s qualifications and merits without regard to race, creed, religious or sexual preference, color, age, sex, handicap, physical disabilities, veteran status, or national origin.
The Ohio Genealogical Society is located at 611 SR 97 W, Bellville OH 44813-8813.
Responses to: email@example.com, no phone calls please.