Job Opening Title: Museum Library & Archives Intern
Employer Name: Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation
Job Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Application Deadline: 3/1/2022
Salary Range: $2500/stipend
Link to job posting: https://www.sbthp.org/internships
Years of experience required: N/A
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: About the Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation
The Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation is a nonprofit that operates the Presidio State Park in downtown Santa Barbara. As a historical museum and archaeological site, we provide docent- led tours, living history programs and other educational programming that addresses the history of the region’s multi-ethnic past and present. We are currently recruiting a part-time, paid intern for a ten-week period beginning in April 2022 to work with the collections at the Presidio Research Center. Preference will be given to applicants with strong interests in museum education, curation, and cataloging digital objects.
Scope of Duties
Under the supervision of the Librarian & Archivist, the intern duties may include:
· Assisting Librarian & Archivist to inventory and catalog multi-format collections – including physical book maintenance (adding protective covers, removing and replacing labels), adding classification labels and contributing descriptive content to catalog records in library collections management system.
· Working on our Omeka online digital collections and exhibits website. This may involve digitizing materials for digital collections and creating original metadata following professional standards. Potential to work on a small-scale exhibit design project.
· Creating and editing small history publications about significant figures and events in Presidio area history.
· Organization and cataloging of historic photograph or archival collections material and assisting in conservation treatments and research.
This internship is ideal for someone with a strong interest in one of the following areas:
· California and/or Central Coast History and Archaeology
· Public Libraries, Archives, and Museums
· Local and Community Histories
Upper division undergraduate student or graduate student standing. Experience and interest in informal education, history, museum studies, and/or public history. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Excellent writing and communication skills. Ability to work well with a diverse group of people. Experience working with Microsoft Office and Adobe Programs.
Early April 2022
Please send a resume/CV and a one-page cover letter describing your relevant experience and interest in this position. Please send materials as a PDF to Dez Alaniz. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a final deadline of March 1, 2022. The successful candidate will be asked to start in this role during the first week of April, 2022.