Job Opening Title: Project Archivist (grant/contract)
Employer Name: Houston Public Library
Job Location: Houston
Application Deadline: until filled
Salary Range: $18,000
Years of experience required: 2 or more years
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: African American Library at the Gregory School
The position is funded by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Title: Project Archivist
Closing Date: Open until filled
Type of Appointment: Grant Funded
About the Organization
The African American Library at the Gregory School (AALGS), Houston Public Library preserves primary resource materials that documents the experience of African American residents, businesses, institutions and neighborhoods in Houston and the surrounding region. The collection includes books, photographs, oral histories, manuscripts, newspapers, personal family archives and ephemera documenting Houston’s African American history and culture.
AALGS and the Houston Public Library seek a Project Archivist to arrange, describe, and digitize, one photographic collection. The archivist will provide a finding aid, metadata and historical context for the Ben Desoto Photographs, a local photojournalist. This is a temporary grant funded position from March 2022 to June 30, 2022.
Description of Duties/Essential Functions
• Processes and catalogs photographic materials collections
• Creates finding aids according to current national standards and best practices
• Scans, digitizes, and indexes archival materials using imaging equipment flatbed scanner.
• Creates metadata spreadsheets for items selected for digitization
• Reports statistics throughout the year; these statistics include data on linear feet processed, and quantity of materials digitized and other information pertinent for reporting purposes
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in library and information science required, or equivalent accredited degree, with formal training in archival theory and practice.
• Demonstrated expertise in arranging and describing archival collections and preparing finding aids of varying size and complexity.
• Familiarity with preservation of archival materials, including handling, housing, and storage.
• Ability to work well in a collaborative, team-based environment.
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills including accuracy and a strong attention to detail.
• Two or more years of professional archival processing and digitization experience
• Experience with digitization projects including scanning, image editing and quality control
• Experience working with archival content management systems, such as ArchivesSpace or Archivists’ Toolkit.
Cover letters and resume along with questions can be directed to the Assistant Manager/Lead Archivist at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until filled position is filled.