Job Opening Title: Education Outreach Intern
Employer Name: Tennessee State Library and Archives
Job Location: Nashville, TN
Application Deadline: March 15
Salary Range: $15/hr
Years of experience required: 0-1
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: Education Outreach Intern Announcement
Education Outreach Intern
Tennessee Department of State
Tennessee State Library and Archives
Supervisor: Education Outreach Archivist
Summary: This grant-funded education internship position is for summer 2022 with negotiable start and end dates. Funding is provided by The National Historical Publications and Records Commission, a grant-funding agency of the National Archives.
The Summer 2022 Education Internship is offered to students currently enrolled in an academic institution during the school year or recent graduates. Preference is given to applicants majoring in history, archives, library science, museum studies, and education. The Tennessee State Library and Archives’ Education intern program is designed to introduce emerging students to the exciting world of archival outreach.
The Education Outreach Intern will be paid $15 per hour for a total of 250 hours. The internship also offers academic credit for students seeking internship credit opportunities.
Mission: The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-center environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop lesson activities and assist with the Historians in Training: Junior Archivist Summer Camp
• Supervise the extended care program during camp week which occurs on June 13 – June 17
• Engage with visitors of all ages to TSLA in historical inquiry activities during tours, special events, and field trips
• Develop hands-on activities for students and educators using TSLA primary sources
• Provide aide with the annual summer teacher institute and teacher in-services
• Assists the Education Outreach Archivist and Education Outreach Coordinator with the planning of year-long educational programming including Fall and Spring break programs as well as Boy & Girl Scout and homeschool programs.
• Develops educational curriculum and digital content for education audiences
• Develops projects that benefit K-12 teachers and students
• Conducts historical research into primary source collections
• Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
• Must be enrolled as current undergraduate or graduate student in good standing or have recently graduated from an institution
• Preference given to students pursuing or recently received a degree in History, Archives, Libraries, Public History, Education, or related field
• Candidates must be enthusiastic and enjoy interacting and teaching large groups of children and adults
Knowledge and Abilities
• Understanding of and respect for the K-12 education environment
• Understanding of the use of primary sources in the classroom environment
• Strong organizational skills, including the ability to establish priorities, follow project timelines, and meet project deadlines
• Highly motivated and self-directed with strong attention to detail
• Ability to work in a collaborative, team-focused environment
• Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences
• Public speaking skills
• Periodic weekend and after-hours work required
• Good driving record and valid driver’s license
• Ability to represent the Department of State positively to the public
• Ability to lift materials up to 25 pounds
• Ability to work in an environment that contains dust and other allergens
• Ability to stand for up to four hours at a time
Health, Safety and collections security:
• Assists the organization in creating a safe and healthy working environment by working safely with the equipment provided
• Follows instructions given for health and safety purposes and immediately reports any unsafe working practices or hazardous working conditions
• Takes all measures necessary to protect the collections from loss, mutilation or theft
To apply: Please email your letter of interest and resume to the Division of Human Resources & Organizational Development, email@example.com by March 15, 2022. This position will be listed until it is filled. Please note, the candidate selected for an offer of employment will be subject to a pre-employment background check.