Job Opening Title: Archivist
Employer Name: WI Black Historical Society Museum
Job Location: Milwaukee, WI
Application Deadline: 3/31/2022
Salary Range: 52k
Years of experience required: 5 years
Job Description (if URL to posting not available). Please include instructions for how to apply.: The Wisconsin Black Historical Society/Museum located on the corners of North 27 and West Center Streets opened its door and its heart to the community, city, and state in 1987. Based on the premise that a people who know their history will grow to love and appreciate themselves more, the Society is striving to create a bright future out of a heart-breaking past. The mission of the Wisconsin Black Historical Society/Museum is to document and preserve the historical heritage of African descent in Wisconsin. The Museum exhibits, collects and disseminates materials depicting this heritage. Serving as a resource center for all people interested in Wisconsin’s rich African American heritage, the Museum’s purpose is to encourage and promote family community and cultural activities.
Perform Archival duties in the operation of the Research Library & Archives. Also assists researchers in the use of the collection and performs management tasks. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude in the use of initiative and independent judgment. Expected to uphold the highest ethical standards of a professional archivist in maintaining and protecting the Museum’s archival collection.
• Manages the Museum’s photographic collection, including organization, cataloging, storage, preservation, digitization, reproductions, and dissemination. Also, develops and implements best practice standards and methods to preserve and maintain the Archives collection, and works in coordination with outside organizations when desirable.
• Responds to research requests and duplication requests for photographs, audio/visual materials drawings, manuals, and other materials, and selects and provides photos and other archival materials for Museum publications, exhibits, website, and special functions.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining Research Library & Archives inventory databases
• Assists with disposition of surplus materials to control collection content and size and to enhance revenue, including maintaining surplus Library sales on internet auction account
• Performs management tasks in the absence of the Executive Director
• Supervises Archives interns and volunteers in accordance with the Museum employee manual
• Participates in some Museum special functions and may be required to travel by automobile and/or commercial aircraft to perform duties; some public speaking may be required
• Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree required in the humanities, history, or a field related library sciences and/or technology. Minimum of four-year professional experience required.
• In-depth knowledge of archival principles and practices
• Demonstrated knowledge of preservation methods and theory
• Knowledge of digital imaging and metadata standards, and management of electronic collections
• Background knowledge and appreciation of African American history in Wisconsin
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to analyze project requirements and prepare work estimates
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively in a team environment
• Thorough knowledge of professional and ethical museum standards
• Experience and ability to learn with PhotoShop, Excel, MSWord, and PastPerfect Museum Software
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume, and letter of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls, please.
Wisconsin Black Historical Society/ Museum 2620 West Center Street Milwaukee, WI 53206